Why do you own a tennessee hardtop ?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by JTWard, Jan 11, 2014.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I was wondering how you all came about be truck drivers ? You like to sit up high ? The neighbors ask daily to move this or that. Or you just like being the guy who takes up two parking spaces that are labeled "Compact Cars only" ?

I added some upgrade to my 1990 Silverado. What do you think

Attached Files:

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Born and raised in Texas and owning a truck just makes sense. Just before graduating high school my dad bought me a car. He said $25,000 or less so I was looking at a new truck or a Mustang GT (back when you could get a GT for under $25k). Even though I was only 18, as much as I wanted a sports car, I knew I would probably get into a lot of trouble with one so I made the smart choice and got the truck. As much as I have used my Silverado the past 13 years, I know if I had gotten the GT I would have been wishing I had gotten the truck. I will have a pick-up truck my whole life, no doubt about it.

3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have had a truck most of my life, yes I went thru the faze of street racers, a 62 nova, a 63 impala, a 67 ss 396, a road runner and a GTX, but once I got a few years under me, and a truck, I have been a truck guy ever since, you cant haul the lumber to build a deck in a car or SUV, I have had trucks where the focus was on the stereo, and then on performance, then on back woods runners, today its creature comfort and utilitarian use for me, todays truck is a car, an SUV and a pick up all in one, and they are great universal vehicles. I love my truck,

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Since shortly after getting my licence 34yrs ago Ive almost always had 2 vehicles, a car and a truck.
    First vehicle was a car that spent more time being repaired than driven, I needed reliable transpot for work and to haul parts for my car so I bought an elcamino.
    Later I needed trailering capabilities so out with the elcamino and in with trucks.
    Theres only been a few times over the years Ive had a jeep instead of a truck, at those times Ive had to have a trailer around for hauling.
    New trucks fill the gap well, with crew cabs their perfect as a family car and a truck so they make perfect sence.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My wife has a car and I need something with a little carrying capacity (work), I've usually used SUVs, but always liked the Avalanche, this time the Avalanche won.

Most of you know we drive back and forth to Ontario a couple of times a year, the bigger vehicle is always the most comfortable and we do like being up higher.

6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Just a farm boy from NY! First 4 wheeled vehicle I ever drove other than a John Deere, was a truck, chevy at that! I've had my share of cars, but always go back to trucks!! Chevys at that!

7. ArtO

ArtO New Member

Truck makes more sense. It does everything a car can do plus it has a huge trunk. We have a SUV & a truck, no car needed.