WHY DOES MY PARKING BRAKE LIGHT STAY ON WHEN, [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BruceY, Jul 23, 2006.

Newest Photos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceY

BruceY New Member

On my 1990 2500 Suburban has been sitting more than driving due to gas prices and not realy needing it. Anyhow I went to move it a few days ago. I started it right up, released the parking brake in order to move it. I noticed the idicator light (for the parking brake) went from bright to dim and will not go out completly. The pedal is fully released. The truck shows NO effects of a dragging brake not fully releasing. I believe it's electrical but where to look?
    :?:
  2. nemopoppins

nemopoppins New Member

Since you mention that, I'd like to mention that my seatbelt light doesn't go out and I always wear my seatbelt. Does anyone know if that is a related problem?
  3. jack77

jack77 New Member

The electrical switch for the parking brake indicator is on the parking brake pedal, check to see if it is bent or broken. the other switch that can illuminate that light is the pressure differential switch located on the combination valve that is bolted to the front crossmember. it is a one wire grounding switch that should light the light if there is a pressure difference ( blown brake line, leaking wheel cylinder, etc). the wire can rub thru or be chewed on by varmints and ground itself to the frame. as the combo valve gets older it can stick in the bore also, so sometimes just a hard stomp on the brake pedal is all that is needed to recenter the valve. As far as the seat belt light, I would check the wires where the belt latch bolts to the floor. over time the constant moving and flexing can break the wires. Only the driver belt should operate the indicator on your '99.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Sorry, I had to laugh at that, I just got an image of a gopher or something snacking on some wires.
  5. nemopoppins

nemopoppins New Member

I remember reading several years ago about some sort of banking catastrophe that was brought on by squirrels nibbling on computer wires somewhere in South America, or something like that.
    Thanks for the advice, Jack77.
  6. BruceY

BruceY New Member

Jack, Thank You for the places to look. Does it being only a 2 wheel drive make any difference on the front crossmember valve? Also no moisture from fluid is seen........Again Thank You Sir Bruce
  7. technojunkie

technojunkie New Member

Regarding varmints -

My last car ('92 Taurus wagon) had some unusual occupants in the engine at one time....

I discovered acorns in the air cleaner box after I bought it, and would occasionally discover more acorns on and around the engine that must have shook out of somewhere! It never affected the reliability of the car, but how long were they there?

I know they must have gotten in there with the previous owners, since my neighborhood is new enough that there aren't any trees big enough for squirrels to be interested!

Every time I'd find more bits, I just had to chuckle imagining a squirrel thinking he'd hit the jackpot finding such a great place to hide his stash!

Tim the technojunkie
  8. jack77

jack77 New Member

I have foound all kinds of problems caused by mice and chipmunks, even had a porcupine chew the fuel lines and the cores out of a radiator. I have found dead mice behind hubcaps and in blower motors. The blower makes one heck of a vibrational noise when it is that far out of balance! The engine cover that hides the top of your engine is a great place to find nests. The hood insulation makes great bedding and it is warm when the mouse goes to bed at night. I heard a customer say once that they had had a groundhog in the fan shroud sleeping and when he started the engine, groundhog pieces scattered all over the engine compartment before destroying the fan and waterpump!
  9. ChevyFan

When I was a kid, my dad pulled a beefy 350 out of a wrecked Corvette and put it into our Chevy station wagon. That engine would be so hot that the cats would love to go sleep on the engine block in the winter.

Until one day, he came home and then had to leave again fairly soon. Well, a white cat named snowball jumped on the engine block to warm himself. When that engine started up, the cat didn't know what to do, except jump into the fan. What a mess.
  10. ChevyFan

Anyhow, sorry to get off topic. You're going to have to have someone check for a short somewhere in your wiring. Sorry, that's about my least favorite thing to do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.