Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Why Drums??

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by smccollamjr, Jan 6, 2010.

1. smccollamjr

smccollamjr New Member

My dad has an '04 Extended Cab Z71 and has rear disk brakes. My '06 CC Z71 has drums. Does anybody know why GM went from disks to drums?

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A quick reply............$ :)$

3. BillNH

BillNH New Member

I was told they went to them due to the corrosion issues on the disks. I Changed my rear brakes more often than my front with my 01. Thats not right. Your front do 70-80% of your braking.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

My 05 Z-71 crewcab also has rear drums. I was tould that the 1500s with trailer package has drums????? Havent been able to confirm this.

5. smccollamjr

smccollamjr New Member

Dad's '04 has the trailer package and disks, and it's a 1500. He did tell me the other day he needed rear brakes (60k miles) but his fronts were good.

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Anyone else have any ideas???:confused:

7. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i personally like the disk brakes better because im clueless when it comes to replacing drums..

8. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Sound like the proportion valve on your trucks isn't functioning properly... I have 4-wheel discs on my Av and all 4 of mine get changed at the same time, and all 4 have just about the same amount of wear on them...

9. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

i was wondering this same thing. Bought a new 08 last year, Top of the line LTZ 4x4 Crew with the HD tow package and it came with read drum brakes. I was surprised to see this, I figured all newer trucks, especially the higher end ones came with disc brakes.

I don't really care it stops on a dime. But my guess is that drum brakes are probably tied to the HD tow package like someone else explained. I am out on a limb here, but I think drum brakes stay cooler resulting in less fade, especially if you were pulling something pretty heavy.

Yesterday I had around 2000lbs in the bed and I was able to stop almost as quick as normally without any extra weight in the back. I was also surprised that the bed actually handled that much weight very well, there was almost no sag in the rear, as opposed to my buddies F150 that we loaded a while back with about the same amount of weight and his fenders were almost rubbing his rear tires.

10. Dimsdale

Dimsdale New Member

You might also consider that rear drums are much more effective as parking brakes, which may be part of the reason they are used with towing/trailering packages. The tiny drums inside the rear disks are worse than useless, particularly for a large load on a significant grade.