1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why I hate sticks...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by DirtDog, Jun 16, 2009.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog New Member 100 Posts

Hello everybody:

Today, I was on my way back home from a trip to town to pay some bills. It started storming on the drive home and there was a small tree down in the road about a mile from my house. I did not see it in time and I hit it. I did not think much of it when it happened, it was just a little "pop" and I kept driving on to my house. When I got home, I was walking around my truck and noticed a stick sticking out of my grill. I still did not think much of it at first, the I noticed my front plate was seriously damaged. I tried to remove the stick and it would not budge. I then took a closer look and found it was stuck ALL THE WAY through my radiator!!!:gasp: So, I then inspected further and there did not appear to be any leaks, so I just pulled really hard and got the stick out. I then took off my grill to closely inspect the truck for any damage. Everything is fine, there's not even a scratch on the bumper where the front plate was!:great: The radiator is not leaking right now, but I'm kinda worried that it may start leaking, what should I do? Here are some pics. I'll post more in a few minutes of the front end took apart and better close ups of the hole.

Also, I will always keep a front plate on my truck now that this has happened, it may have very well saved my bumper from some serious damage.

Front plate:
    [​IMG]

hole in radiator:
    [​IMG]

another view of front plate:
    [​IMG]

hole from back of radiator:
    [​IMG]

more pics in a second.
    Jack
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

wow you are lucky it went right between the coolant runs, i guess i wouldn't worry about it leaking if it isnt now it shouldnt, but keep an eye on it
  3. DirtDog

more pics:

The stick I pulled out of the radiator:
    [​IMG]

The truck before I took the grill off to inspect:
    [​IMG]

more pics as soon as I finish uploading them to photobucket.

Jack.
  4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

All I can really say is wow. Glad it turned out so well. It really could have been 100x worse. Definitely keep an eye on it though. You should just tell everybody that the stick didn't hit anything vital because your'e such a good driver lol. When I first clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be something about how you hate manual transmissions, not actual sticks lol. Good luck getting her back in tip top shape.

-Greg
  5. DirtDog

Thanks for the reply's. I forgot to mention too that after I took off the grill I started the truck and let it idle for about 30 minutes and I watched the hole very carefully to see if there were any leaks, and I did not see any. Here are the other three pics I took. The truck was running when all three of these were taken. I finished removing the debris from the radiator too before I started the truck.

Maybe it will never leak, I sure hope it wont. Here's the pics:

It's naked!!!
    [​IMG]

hole after cleaning:
    [​IMG]

close up of hole after cleaning:
    [​IMG]

Like I said earlier, it was running when these pics were taken, and the temp gauge was reading a steady 220, and that's normal for this truck. Maybe it'll be ok, I'm still worried though.

Jack.
  6. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

that sucks, when i read the title, i thought you were talking about driving a "stick"
  7. DirtDog

Hehe, yeah. I guess I should have worded that different.:money: My truck is an automatic though if that means anything.:rofl:

Jack.
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

dayum looks like they tried to snipe you.

new radiator, no?
  9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP New Member 100 Posts

i get pissed when i get a little scratch from a stick.i probably wouldve lost it if that happened to me!its good it didnt kill your radiator though
  10. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member 100 Posts

your lucky

The way my luck goes it would have been a redwood and tore out the whole front end, Id say keep an eye on it and start looking for a new one. while it may not be leaking the metals been weakend and maybe in a day maybe in a month itll probable start leaking, murhpys law being the bastard that it is youll be a thousand mile from home when it goes( oh wait thats my luck again never mind)