Why I haven't posted on the forum in awhile

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 09Z71, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 09Z71

09Z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, I thought I'd just inform you why I haven't been posting on the forums at all.

Back in mid/late August, I had the day off and was going to wash the truck. I went outside, started it up, pulled it back and towards the house so the hose could reach. Then i left it running and went to get the pressure washer out and unravel the hose and get out the soap and such. As i was doing so, i turned around for a split second and saw black smoke coming out from the sides of the hood, and saw a glimpse of flames. So I bolted into the kitchen and tried to grab the extinguisher from under the sink. Couldn't reach it, And i remembered there was an extinguisher in the garage. So I went out to the garage, tried to grab the extinguisher, but the fellow who built the house put the thing on the stupidest hook I've ever seen. It was a hook for a hose, as it came out and curled around. Once I ripped the entire thing out of the wall I fumbled with the hood and the safety pin on the extinguisher and put out the fire. Long story short it was $12,500 worth of damage covered by insurance, and even before I got the truck back I had already bought a new truck. The truck gave me a lot of trouble and this was the last straw. The cause of the fire was a short in some harness near the fuse box somewhere, They didn't really go into detail, and I'm not deeply interested in why it blazed up, because it's out of here as soon as i get it back. The rims and retrax cover will go for sale separately. I bought a 2011 Ford F-150 and got the employee pricing deal. So far I love the truck.

Here's a crappy picture of what happened. This was about 20 minutes after and I was still shaken up.

IMG_1043.jpg

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Woww... cant help a lemon.. you had nothing but issues with that truck.. what is sad is GM didnt seem to care really!

Oh and have no fear there are plans for a branch out to include your rig!

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That sucks, glad to see no one got hurt though.
    Just goes to show no matter who manufactures it theres always the chance of a lemmon.

4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Sorry about what happened with your CHEVY trucks.I agree with you guys that 09Z71 just happened to get stuck with a lemon or two.

5. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

that really sucks, it is to bad GM didnt care more, wish you luck with your ford, not a big fan but i do respect them!

6. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

sorry about the truck. good thing no-one was hurt and the truck was not in the garage. This isnt a GM thing, but all brands. I was not as lucky as you. below is a picture of my 02 Ford Excursion that self ignited while parked, not running in my garage. i was not as lucky as you. it destroyed my garage, tools as well as a 1971 Bronco i was restoring. the only plus is that i was awake when it happened.

[​IMG]

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Another shot of destruction

[​IMG]

7. 09Z71

09Z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

It happens, sometimes there are vehicles that aren't 100% solid. It's not that I would never buy a GM again, of course I would. I don't blame every GM for setting on fire, in fact i encourage alot of people to look at the GM HD trucks when looking for a new diesel. I went to look at a loaded 2011 GMC 5.3L SLE All Terrain crew cab, but the pricing on the Ford was better at the time, and i felt more attracted to the interior design, legroom and the awesome Ecoboost motor. This shouldn't be a turnoff to anyone, and in fact I've heard of many cases of Ford 5.4 and 6.8L engines catching on fire from electrical issues, but the way i see it is that Houses catch on fire from electrical things all the time, but would that turn me off from ever going with that home-building company again? no.

I am very lucky to have caught it when I did, and that it didn't happen during the night (it was parked outside anyway). My dad has an Escalade and we have a GMC Terrain as well, both are nice vehicles.

On a related note, yesterday i picked up the truck from the repair shop, and it was a little scary driving it again. I looked under the hood and saw all that new pastic stuff and it looked kinda sad that all of that had to be replaced.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I'm glad your happy with your Ford and glad your Okay. Wasnt trying to hi-jack your thread with my pics. by the way. Just wanted to show you how unlucky i was. As far as Fords go, I,m still searching and saving for another Early Bronco.