1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why is the US auto industry trending to the boring?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Jan 29, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Primarily, why are US auto makers not putting manual transmissions in their cars any more? They are out there but hard to find - at least, exactly how I want them.

I am looking to buy my first car later this year. I have been driving the same pick-up truck for 13 years now. It's paid off and still runs great so I plan to keep it and buy a new, second car. Since I have a truck, I am looking for a "sporty car"; either a 4-door sedan or a 2-door coupe.

"Sporty" to me is: a manual transmission, rear or all-wheel drive, and at least 350 HP. The car I really want is a Cadillac CTS-V but I can't afford one of those. Certainly not new but probably not even a pre-owned. In terms of affordability, some of the cars I had been looking at are as follows:

Chevy SS (this one fit my cirteria the best but upon release Chevy said no manual)
    Ford Taurus SHO (another that fit my criteria well but again, no stick)
    Cadillac CTS-Vsport (in terms of wanting a CTS-V, this is a great alternative except the turbo V-6 will only come with an 8-speed auto...what a waste)
    Cadillac ATS coupe (less than 300 HP but I like a lot of its features. This does come with a stick but only on the turbo 4, no the V-6 and I don't really want a 4cyl)

The ATS coupe and CTS-Vsport aren't out yet but I can wait. This thing is, the cars listed fit my criteria the best except for one factor: they don't come with a freakin' manual! Why are US auto makers not putting manuals in the some of the cars a stick would go with best? There are manuals to be found out there but they are either in under-powered 4-cyl cars or in the really high-end cars I can't afford, such as a CTS-V or a Mustang GT500. Talk about frustrating...
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 100 Posts

These days, the car companies tend to cater to the most popular options. Years ago, you could go to a dealer and pick and choose all your options,.......Now, you have to pick this package and that package. And, the cars are 10x the price on top of that.....Bring back the old days....lol
  3. McClintoc

This is what I was thinking. Car companies will only make/sell what people are buying. Since most Americans are lazy/stupid, people just aren't buying sticks anymore. :( Makes it hard to be an enthusiast these days.
  4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I drove 300 miles to get my girlfriend a manual shift Toyota Rav4 AWD(sorry GM, you have nothing comparable)very hard to find. Price was actually a little cheaper than an automatic with comparable miles and features/color. She loves manual shift and the thing is actually fun to drive.
  5. McClintoc

"Fun to drive" is what I am looking for in my new car. I figured a manual would get me that. It's very difficult to find exactly what I want.
  6. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Why no camaro? I had a 94 and that thing was a blast, even-though it was a v6. Nice 5sp and got pretty good gas mileage.
  7. McClintoc

I'd really like a 4-door sedan but a few 2-door coupes are near the top of my list. A Camaro would be nice but they have some serious blind spots that I am not a fan of. That said, the Mustang beats out the Camaro, IMO. But, since I would also rather have a GM than a Ford, I am looking at the Cadillac ATS coupe, but it's not as powerful as I'd like my next car to be. I tell you what, trying to find exactly what I am looking for is quite a daunting task.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Camero RS was gonna be my suggestion, if you dont like the blind spots, not sure what to say.

Alex
  9. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Say what you want about Fords, but the most fun, most reliable car I have ever owned is my 2007 Ford Mustang GT. Still eating any comparable stock car on the street with 78,000 miles on the clock. You will ALWAYS be able to get a stickshift in a Mustang. And i could squeeze 28 mpg hwy at 80 mph out of it.
  10. McClintoc

[MENTION=52559]Dana W[/MENTION] When I graduated HS and my parents got me the truck I have now, I was contemplating either a pick-up or a Mustang GT. I know the Mustang GT would have been a lot of fun but the truck just made more practical sense. What I am getting at now is, I have driven practical for 13 years and now I want something fun. A Mustang 5.0 is near the top of the list if I decide to go with a manual but I am starting to consider a car with a manumatic transmission.