1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why people insist putting the wrong oil filter on!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by stchman, Oct 2, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I have noticed that a lot of people like to complain that the PF48 is too puny for my many V8 engine. They then tell you how they "need" a larger filter and then put the wrong oil filter on.

Is a filter that is 1" to 1.5" longer REALLY worth it. Apparently people are saying that the PF63 is a long replacement for a PF48. Nowhere in the manual does it state that it's OK to use the wrong filter.

I can just imagine if you have engine problems and the dealer sees the wrong filter on the car. Wonder what will happen then?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The larger filter will affect oil pressure, how much I dont know, my preffered dealer told owners if they worked on the vehicle as it was they would void the warranty with GM backing.
    I know everyone feels dealers are looking for excuses to void warranties, in this case they allowed the owners to take the vehicles elsewhere for work without making notes on the issue.