1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why some people hate daytime running lights.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, May 13, 2013.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Or tell him to pedal a bicycle!!:sign0020:
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

But he wouldn't want the DOT required night reflectors they make him have.
  3. redvett

redvett Member

Motorcycles must have DRL's so why not cars and trucks. I hope they make DRL's a law on all vehicle. Too many people driving in rain,fog, at dawn or dusk with no lights. Many states have a law thet when wipers are on the lights must be also.
  4. Conlan Rose

In 1996 the DOT began to require all cars to have DRLs. In CT you must have your headlights on while the wipers are on. No one follows either rule.....
  5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Under certain lighting conditions, DRL's/headlights can be the difference between life and death, literally. A drunk driver coming the other way on a two-lane highway at dusk may not see your car when he pulls out to pass someone, but he just might see the DRL's/headlights. If I had a car without them, I would always have my lights on.

As for the automatic headlights, I will not own any car that does not have them. I wired my '65 Dodge Coronet to have the lights on anytime the engine was on, so I am pretty serious about that.

Ask your friend how often he turns off the engine at a longer-than-average red light....that actually does save gas, and lowers overall emissions, but I'll bet he never does it.

Jim
  6. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

But if "someone" wants to, just pull fuses #31 and #33 from the under-hood fuse box and they are off. This doesn't affect the automatic operation of your headlights.
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My DRLs bulbs burned out years ago and I haven't replaced them.

To me, DRLs are a solution looking for a problem. 15 or 20 years ago, when very few cars/trucks had their lights on during the day, yeah they stood out. But today, if every car has their lights on all the time, then all the cars look the same, just like they all did when no cars had their lights on during the day, so what's the point? And what's next, flashing lights? So, all cars have their lights on and in order to stand out, a few cars start using strobe lights. OK. So, 10 to 15 years from now, all cars have strobe lights and we're back to where we are now. Seems silly to me.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a false example. The problem in your example is that there is a drunk driver, not whether or not someone has lights on in the day time. Drunk drivers kill, no head lights.
  8. Conlan Rose

I have a better example then. There have been countless times in my neighborhood where a new car that didn't have DRLs has pulled out a few streets away from me and I couldn't see them because their car is a neutral color/dark (there are a lot of trees and fences in my area) so when I look to pull out I don't see them until seconds before I pull out and I need to slam on the brakes not to hit them. I look very carefully multible times when pulling out. DRLs/headlights on make it 10x easier to see another car coming down the road day or night. Even just park lights are enough.

The worst time of day for this is after dawn or before dusk when everything seems to be a neutral color. I keep my lights on just to prevent someone from hitting me! There are just too many blind intersections, hills and corners in CT and the whole New England region. Of course a new CT law states you can't pull up from the line if you can't see at a stop sign or turn on red to see better so you need to stay put until you can see its safe to go.. But by definition of the law you can't see so you can't go....
  9. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

As I said, maybe DRLs make a vehicle 1% safer, I don't know. I however don't think DRLs make a vehicle less safe.

A vehicle having or not having DRLs would not impact my purchase decision whatsoever. I do insist on a vehicle having automatic headlamps.
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

DRLs wouldn't impact my purchasing decision either. Like you said, it does no harm if the vehicle does have them. But likewise, automatic headlights are must.

Another good question for your friend is if he has an aftermarket stereo in his car. If he's so worried about extra power draw reducing his fuel mileage, a more powerful stereo, even just the head unit, would pull more power than DRLs.