Why some people hate daytime running lights.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, May 13, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

How does one signal a fellow truck it is OK to change back to the right in the dark? Your headlights are on, do you turn them on to off to on, or do you flash the highbeams?

So only the lights will "spook" livestock and not the sound of the machine driving up on them?

DRLs are just a feature, nothing more. Most of the reasons people hate DRLs they mentally manufactured "just cause". What about all the other systems in a modern automobile that are not controlled by the driver? How can we let that go on?

As I said in a previous post, DRLs are not a huge factor for me. If the vehicle has them OK, if it does not, OK. Automatic headlamp OTOH are a must for a vehicle I buy.

2. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

You turn the headlights off then back on in a nighttime situation to tell a trucker it is ok to change back to the right lane. You use your high beams, and they are looking in the mirror at the time, you can bet that you are being called everything but a human being by that trucker. At a minimum, you will be viewed as a unintelligent moron.

Livestock are not spooked by a slow moving vehicle in the pasture with normal vehicle sounds, whether it be a vehicle or ag tractor. Even an ATV. But putting headlights in their eyes and blinding them can cause them to react in ways that are not what is desired. But most engineers at the OEM's wouldn't know a steer from a deer.

I realize DRL's are a feature, but like many "features" in newer vehicles, it is not an option for the owner to decide which "features" they get to have an not have. Instead, an owner has to modify what the OEM thought was best for everyone. For normal usage, DRL's are not a bad thing. But like I stated, most OEM engineers are strictly book worm educated and have no broad based real world experience. And some features that were actually good for some of us have been eliminated over the years. Remember wing vents in doors? Even commercial semi's have had them removed. I don't recall any OEM asking what features we all prefer or not prefer. They just give us a one size fits all deal and if you don't like it.... tough.

3. stchman

After this conversation, I was looking at semis driving down the road and they all appeared to have headlights on even during the day. I don't know what the laws for truckers are, but from the looks of it it appears to be that they must have lights on all the time.

Auto manufacturers have to make their products appeal to a big audience. If they just made vehicles that appealed to guys slow driving in a pasture, they would not sell many vehicles, so I think the "bookworm" title is un-warranted.

As far as GM trucks, disabling DRLs is easily done by the removal of a couple of fuses.

4. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I dont mind them as long as the option to turn them off is there. Also I believe there is a discount on Insurance for a vehicle equipped with DRL's. $ saved is $ earned.

5. Cowpie

Many of the trucks you see with headlights on in daytime hours do so because of a company policy. And, unlike so many "4 wheelers", truckers will usually put on headlights at the slightest wet weather, cloudy condition, and at the first part of dusk. There is no law regarding commercial vehicles being required to use headlights in daytime. At least not in the United States.

As for the manufactures targeting the big audience with their products, did they actually go out and survey? I highly doubt it. Most of these things that come out from the OEM's, if not out right regulated, are things that the OEM's are nudged into doing by suggestion of government. And truth be told, the Canadian market was the primary deal here. Canada has mandated automatic daytime running lights for years. Since the OEM's, for the N. American market, do not differentiate between countries, we all got daytime running lights whether we liked it our not.

6. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If it is a clear day and day time, I turn them off if I remember. Why? I guess just to save my bulb life that 30 mins. When I let a Truck over I flash my brights. Even with my DRL off I can still bright someone and if my DRL's are on and I bright someone you CAN see the difference. I turn my off out of personal preference. To each is own.

7. steved

steved Former Member

They are for those stupid people that have never learned to drive, but are more worried about sending text messages and talking on the phone than driving...they don't pay attention to the fact its dark out and continue to drive with the DRLs.

Go to any big town (I live between four), and you see it all the time...they are too stupid or pre-engaged to realize the driving lights aren't on.

8. Cowpie

The brights are not bad for signaling during the day, but at night.... please don't be around my semi. :grrrrrr: If someone is going to flash their brights at night to signal a truck over, then they should just not signal at all. Get yourself a CB and listen in sometimes. Especially when a newbie truck driver flashes brights at another trucker to signal them over. You might learn the latest swear words.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said, oh wise one! Yep, see it every day.

9. stchman

Well, this thread has pretty much boiled down to the following:

I hate DRLs, "just cause".

I knew there were going to be some manufactured reasons as to why people hate DRLs, but this has reached new creative levels.

Here are some of the best reasons I have read so far:

1. Stupid people don't know how to operate headlights.
    2. Bulb life.
    3. I think my truck is "sexier" with DRLs off.
    4. Truckers will curse you if you quick flash them with high beams instead of off/on/off.
    5. I don't want to "spook" livestock.
    6. They are for those stupid people that have never learned to drive, but are more worried about sending text messages and talking on the phone than driving.

I've never seen such an insignificant thing like DRLs promote such negative hostility. I am really surprised that someone has not argued fuel economy.

10. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

The thread is still young, give it a chance.:no: