1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why Two Timing marking Plates

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Biglar, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Biglar

Biglar New Member

Having a timing issue on a 1995 Chev 454 (7.4) engine. I have noticed there are two crankshaft timing marking plates, one near the bottom of engine on right side (looking toward rear of vehicle) and one near the top right side (again looking toward rear of vehicle). Why are there two and which one to use?
  2. Biglar

Biglar New Member

Found answer to my own question:

Timing on a 1995 Motor Home, 454 Chevy engine with P chassis?The manual states that timing should be 4* BTC. Is says that if timing marker is on top ( one o'clock position as you look from front of engine) to use the #1 plug and if the marker is on the bottom to use the #8 or #5 plug. My timing marker is at the 5 O'clock position.

I can understand why with all the junk at the top along with the AC compressor and lines you can't even see the top marker.
  3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Welcome to the forum and thanks for letting us know. I would not have guessed it was for ease of maintenance or repair as GM doesn't seem to work at making things easy.