Why won't my SCT X3 scanner read/clear codes on my `97 Suburban?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by idowa, Aug 26, 2010.

1. idowa

idowa New Member

Just bought a `97 Suburban and on the way home the service engine soon light came on so I got out my scanner that I've used on a couple of other OBDII vehicles and it just tells me there is an error in reading codes.

There is an off-idle stumble and it feels sluggish... Couldn't pass up the otherwise immaculate LS 4x4 w/ 139k miles for only $4100, though...

I noticed that the huge power box under the hood that has the black/white designation on it is brand new; don't know what that thing is yet or if it may have something to do with an error in reading codes.

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Silly question I'm sure, but were you trying to read the codes with the engine off? I know my scanner won't read the codes with the engine off, but then won't clear them with the engine running. Actron, go figure.

3. idowa

idowa New Member

I think that's it! Because on all my other vehicles, you plug the scanner in, then select what you want to do and then it tells you to turn the key on.

I took it to Autozone and had them read it and it was the dreaded P1870... The AZ guy just turned the key on, then plugged in the scanner and it worked fine.

Going there in a few minutes to buy some tranny fluid and a filter and see if I can save the tranny. It has the tell tale hard 1-2 shifts...