Why?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Barnettamb, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Why did chevrolet put that dumb plastic front bumper thing on there trucks? the moment you go offroad its plastic bolts break and it gets ripped right off. The least they could have done was put it on with metal bolts............:grrrrrr:

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

and the same thing happened to my friend with a tahoe...
  2. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member

I think they went political with the bailout money. Now lobbyists from aftermarket companies like Fab Four are throwing money at them saying "hey, if your people really beat on it like it's made for, they'll need to buy our stuff."

That's really the first answer that came to mind on why....
  3. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

did the same thing happen to you?
  4. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member

No, it hasn't. But I also haven't started toying with it offroad the way I plan to. I'm out of the country at the moment, and when I get back I'm planning to get the lift, gears, shocks, and bumpers upgraded just so it doesn't happen.
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

its actually removable for off roading. its right in the manual and tells you to do it for off roading. the use the attachment system they do so its easy to remove.

if your talking about what i think you are. you are talking about the little lower air valance right?

Alex
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

The removable plastic valence gets you about 1mpg ... which is why it was put on the truck. As has been noted in previous responses the fasteners are intended to allow you to easily remove it for off-road use. In this way GM has provided you with something you can use for better mileage while on the road ... and remove for clearance when going off-road. If you don't want to risk harming it while going off-road then remove it, as it was designed for exactly that!
  7. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

well i always knew you could probably just take it off but i didnt thing it would be very easy... i saw on the other day with it off and it looked pretty dumb so i just never bothered.
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

I took mine off permanently due to how much time I spend off-roading, and although it does easily come off, it was too much of a hassle for me. I think it looks better off on lifted trucks than on stock height rides.
  9. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

yeah that sierra looks good without it. mine probably wouldnt
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I removed mine permanently, as well ... well before I added a winch. The truck just looks better to me without it. (It'd have had to go when I added the winch carrier, anyway, as mine's a hidden carrier.)
  11. dadngt

dadngt New Member

I doubt the 1 inch wind deflector really helps anymore with fuel millage when the truck has a 6 in lift kit & big heavy tires. Those deflectors are use the cut back on the wind resistance under the truck right?
  12. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Thanks! But take a look at ajarman's thread. He's got a Silverado and his pics give you a good idea of what yours would look like. I think it will change your opinion.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/44251-Pics-of-my-08-Silverado/page3#axzz1td0RHULc

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

I don't have the #s to confirm it since so much changed at the exact time I lifted, but I don't see how it could improve my mileage at this point.