Wide Open Throttle Issue

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by rusty_buckets, Dec 17, 2009.

1. rusty_buckets

rusty_buckets New Member

I have a 98 Chevy k1500 Suburban 4x4 with Vortec 350 Auto Trans and all the other bells and whistles,I have a problem with wide open throttle if i punch the throttle weather driving down the road or sitting in park the motor falls on its face and stays that way, but if i ease into the throttle it picks up pretty well it has a pretty new tune up plugs,wires,cap and rotor.I was wondering if it could be a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator i dont have a pressure tester but i do know that the pump sounds erratic and has a very high pitch to it .Any and all help greatly appreciated

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably the first thing you need to do is check the fuel pressure.
    Most Auto Zones loan or rent fuel pressure testors.

3. Dukman89

Dukman89 New Member

My dads truck is a 95 Gmc Seirra Z71 and had what sounds like the same problem just a week ago. He changed the fuel filter and found abunch of trash and junk clogged up in it an its been runin great ever since. I would prob check that along with your fuel lines, or it could even be you catilitic converter.

4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Fuel filter's clogged, change it and report bock.... That should cause the problem...

5. Viper

Viper Rockstar 100 Posts

fuel filter should be your first change anyway, its like the oil and air filters should be replaced every so often, then test the flow of the pump and the fuel pressure

6. rusty_buckets

rusty_buckets New Member

thanks for the help guys, i changed fuel filter and that has seemed to fix the dead throttle problem :party: