Wideband O2 installation

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ToreadorZ, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

I have a 2000 Z-71 Silverado with all the usual bolt-ons.
    First incursion into ECM tuning. How do I get wideband O2 sensors into my set-up to deal with WOT A/F ratios?

2. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

What kind of software are you using?

3. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

get a new bung welded in, put the 02 sensor in and run the wire to the gauge. Most setups will have detailed instructions on where to put the new 02 sensor.

4. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

Right now I have an updated Diablosport and am about to put on a new 85mm throttle body (final bolt-on besides e-fans preliminary to planned internal mods). Have been advised that to adjust for A/F at WOT with the larger body I need wideband as the OEM O2s in the 2000 only work in the +/- 14.7 range. Now that I've plonked the dollars down for the Diablo I'm hearing great things about Blackbear, Wheatley...etc., Though the guys at Diablo are custom tuning also, I'll be damned if I'm getting the same response from them that others at their site are. Current set-up: Vararam intake, BBK 1-3/4 Shorties, Gibson Supertruck exhaust, MSD 8.5 wires, AC Delco iridiums @.060, Jet Billet Servo, Red Line Synthetic Tranny fluid, Mobil 1 5w-30.

Taking a crash course in dealing with electronic brains as I've been a shade-tree, plug reader, carbed guy to this point, lol

2000 Z-71 Silverado LT ecsb with tow package, 3.73 posi.

Upcoming Mods: Tornado, TB spacer, de-screened MAF, 24" rims, 3000 watt Defman audio (to drown out exhaust note and bad lifters) and 100% tint by Krylon :wink2:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. JennaBear

Don't descreen your MAF or waste your $$$ on a TB spacer.

I am assuming that you want to plug your WB into your PCM rather than a gauge? A gauge is pretty much plug-n-play if not.

:great:

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've used the Innovative Motorsport LM1 before and loved it as a stand alone. All that was really required was to have a new bung welded on and then running the wires. The unit lets you record your sessions and upload to a computer or you can use a laptop and get all the stats right then and there.

7. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

The bottom of my last post is the humor part of the equation.....
    Thanks for the come-back Young Miss (I assume) Bear. Gauge would be nice for real-time but i guess the functional point as far as actually tuning the vehicle as a whole would be to have it wired into the PCM, if the PCM is adaptable to the extent of reading the wideband as well as the existing OEMs and being able to log off of them. Throw the right bait out and help me (read: NEWBIE) out and y'all might catch a happy customer. Thanks again for the reply.

8. JennaBear

If you are planning on tuning yourself, I would suggest getting software like EFILive or HPTuners and hooking the wideband up through there on your laptop (via PCM).

If you are using the Diablo, they would need to let you know how they can "log/monitor" the vehicle with a WB on it. Not sure it can record that data.

9. ToreadorZ

ToreadorZ New Member

I think I'd have to pull it and send it to them. I know they have the capability in later trucks (and predators) that like several rice burners before, are factory equipped with the WB but not in the first Gen of LS-based trucks. But the issue comes back to: as a novice I'd hate to learn by blowing up my daily driver. So, if I want to go to custom tune that takes as many modifications into account as i plan on or already have, I need the WB and ability to read it and someone who knows far better than I what to do with it. Also, I am HERE because I have posted additional queries for clarification after raising this question about methodology with the Diablo rep who recommended the O2 upgrade and responses stopped. Thanks again

10. JennaBear

Honestly, with your current mods, I don't think you need the WB. Just logging your truck and getting the data to a tuner would benefit you just fine. If you decide to go with an F/I setup, then you should be looking into a WB.