1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

width of S10 rear axle

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by GM_Guy, Jul 4, 2007.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. GM_Guy

GM_Guy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I'd like to know the width of an S10 rear axle, dimensions I need are from backing plate,to backing plate. I have a twisted idea for a new project, and I'd appreciate any info :)

2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Coming from you Jeff this could get interesting :wink:

Took some measurements of a 2WD rear from backing plate to backing plate (48") as well as the spring perch measurements (38.5")

3. GM_Guy

thanks Jamie:) I think my idea will work. I wasn't sure if I should use the distance between backing plates, or if I should have measured between the outside edges of the axle flanges.

and yes, this project,if I find the right candidate,(years 82-87 is what I'm gonna look for) it WILL be VERY interesting :idea:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  4. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

well, what is it???? you can't just leave us hanging like that!

5. GM_Guy

ok....... picture this........ my 550 hp Buick 430 (from my 82 regal), in an S10
    I'd be planning using the rear axle from under My regal, and some other parts off it. talk about a wild ride ;)

6. Flatman

Flatman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

sweet! that would be really cool.... DO IT NOW!!!

7. GM_Guy

oh I fully intend to ;) I'm gonna search for an early one, from 82-86, I think I can find one with a bad engine/trans for cheap. the regal's rear end may be a couple inches wider, but if I flare the rear wheel openings, I think it'll be good.

I'd leave all the stock trim/ emblems on it, sooooo,can you say......SLEEPER???? ;)

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

just make sure you don't leave the body behind on the starting line. With all that power, I could see the chassis flying straight from under that rest of the truck. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  9. GM_Guy

I may need to get a pilot's license too ;) oh, this is gonna be fun :)

10. GM_Guy

well, I took a spring perch mount measurement on the rear axle on my regal, I also got 38.5 inches!! so, I think it will go right in :) I am going to have the guy who sold me my suburban, look for a good 82-89 chevy S10/ gmc S15 with a dead engine/trans for the project.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007