Wierd Problem. Need help!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 95Chevyk1500, Dec 12, 2009.

1. 95Chevyk1500

95Chevyk1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

My Dad's 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8 4wd has a wierd problem. When slowing down, it stalls. For example, when aproaching a stop sign, and your on the brake, it will stall. It's wierd because it rarely throws a check engine light. And we're never near anyone with a scanner when it does. Just wondering if anyone has a similar problem.

2. 95Chevyk1500

also, starts right up everytime after it stalls

3. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have not heard of anyone with a simiilar problem, but hopefully if anyone has they will sound off. If the truck gets a "code" it should be stored in the computer. When you get to someone with a scanner they should be able to read it. Good luck!

4. 95Chevyk1500

its wierd cuz weve checked stored codes. shows nothing. maybe a computer problem. worth resetting it i guess

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure. I had a van that would intermittently stall. It kept getting worse, the fuel filter was clogged so I replaced that and it got better. Went back to stalling so I rigged a fuel pressure gauge that I zipped tied to the wiper valance. I drove it around and eventually the van sputtered and sure enough the pressure dropped when it stalled. Finally with a good diagnosis, I got the nerve to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump.

6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just got done dropping a ton of money in my S-10 because of that exact same problem, when I would come to a stop the truck would die out and then I would be able to restart it but it was too erratic to drive. The fuel pump had been replaced last year but the problem still persisted, so just last week I had them do a complete tune up which included the fuel filter and now the truck runs like glass! They said all of my injectors were fine, and the fuel regulator was good the only thing they could figure was the fuel filter. I asked them to do the rest since it was already at there shop, hope this helps.

BTW- My truck only has 54,000 miles, and it has had 3 new fuel pumps since it was new and I ALWAYS keep at least half a tank of gas in it and mine never threw any code either. The Chevy dealer was lost without there little TECH 2 to help them out, what a joke! My friggin dad figured it out.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  7. RWK

RWK Rockstar

WHen my Chevy did that, it turned out to be the Idle Air Control was bad. Still didn't throw any codes.

8. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would think vacuum or fuel pressure. You loose a lot more vacuum when you step on brake. Good luck

9. KMKsilverado

KMKsilverado New Member

Brakes

Any problem with your brakes ever Master Cylinder leeaking into the power booster which gets sucked into the injectors, brake fluid doesnt combust too well which could kill the car. Just a thought.

10. brianj

brianj Rockstar

I have seen this happen with automatics when the torque converter stayed locked up- see if you have any trans codes.Also, if you have a trans temp gauge, make sure it is not running hot, indicating it is locked all the time. It is not very likely, but it is possible.