1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wifes ready to set truck on fire

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dsfloyd, Nov 11, 2009.

1. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

rant first, then new problem
    Ok so over the last few months the truck has been nothing but issues. (still under a warranty w/deductible). It seems that everytime I get something fixed a week later something else breaks and the wife is tired of the $100 everytime plus rental car. From leaking pinion seal, then sheared leaf spring pins, I'm sure something else and then my fuel pump went out (week long with rental). Then I just did some maintenance work (plugs and wires), after that my 4wd encoder sensor and the instrument cluster went bad. Fortunately the dealer covered that up to 70k so no cost but I paid 100 for the encoder. this is up to last week. So I had them inspect that and once everything was in I would take it back to minimize down time in a rental. Well before I could take it back on halloween my fuel pump goes out for the 2nd time (only 2 months). So I have it towed to the dealership that the work was going to be done at. Not the smartest idea since it was a 65mile tow and 271 dollars later (the warranty did pick up 100 of that). So now the dealer just covered the instrument cluster and fuel pump. while there they also said the water pump was leaking so that was covered by the warranty with the encoder sensor, so at least I was able to combine a few things this time. So I finally get the truck back on friday (so I also had a rental sunday through friday).

Now the new problems
    this first one I think I will have a case for the dealer to find and fix for free, but you know how they like to do things for free.
    So I get the truck back friday and on my way home that night on the DIC it says tighten fuel cap, so I pull over and unlock take off and put back on. Thinking ok maybe just didnt get put back on right after doing pump. I also clear the P0455 code that popped up. But thinking that was too easy and I was right. So monday evening the same thing. Tighten fuel cap on DIC followed with p0455. So yesterday morning I call dealership to explain the problem so that they cant say it was too long after service, but say I will replace cap first since gasket was not the best on cap, but knowing this wouldn't work. I did that yesterday and this morning once again "tighten fuel cap" on the way to work but no code as of yet.
    So two questions:
    first do I have a good case that a hose or canister by the tank in the evap system was damaged when they replaced the pump since the code came the same day, so they should pay for it.
    Second: I know the PCV is part of the emissions but is it part of the evap? I don't think it is but it is one thing that just pefore it went in I was messing with before I found that you cant replace it. So could a vacuum leak on that hose cause the code. I am thinking no but want to rule out my error first.

Second issue
    Also on Sunday I began to get a nice high pitch squeel either coming from the alternator or pulley next to it in the engine bay (not all the time but most). Is that possibly one of those bearings going bad, if so should it be replaced sooner than later. On saturday I flushed the radiator but don't beleive any water really got into that area (upper radiator hose was close)

Sorry it is so long
    Thanks
  2. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit New Member

OMG!. This is an 04? Nobody deserves that many problems that often!.

I hope you finally get to a point where everything STAYS FIXED!
  3. SportyShorty

SportyShorty New Member

Has it always been this bad? I would see if the lemon law can save you from any more headaches! That and I would look into going to a different dealership/shop I wonder if their negligence has caused any of the problems you are having.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Honestly that is about the luck we get with our vehicles as well, my dad always says full size trucks come with full size repairs and he is right. I could make a rant about my S-10 for about 20 pages on here, this weekend I about to put another $2,000 into my S-10 to get it to run. New spider assembly, injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump also my second one and a bad compression to top it all off.

As far as trying to get the dealer to fix that evap thing, they will never admit that it was there fault and you will probably get stuck with that bill. Let us know what happens with your truck, and if your wife does set it on fie than please take pictures and post them for us. :eek:ut:
  5. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

ohhh man that alot in a quick time... back to back to back to back problems is a pocket killer
  6. dsfloyd

For the most part the trucks been great. most the problems have been in the last 6 months. Like they say when it rains it pours. Hopefully its thrown its little temper tantrum and we can get on with life.
  7. dsfloyd

So I took it too the dealer this morning and they found that one on the evap lines was loose off the canister so that took ten minutes and no cost so that should take care of that problem. and I havent heard any squeeling off the alternater in a day and a half :great:. I am hoping (and knocking on wood) that the truck will now try to be nice again for a little while
  8. DIGS16

DIGS16 Rockstar 100 Posts

that good they fixed the line for no cost to u... since they probably forgot to tighten it well
  9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

your truck was the one that was stolen and beat to hell wasnt it?
  10. dsfloyd

yeah in April of 06, so almost 4 years ago. I do always look at that as probably being related, and things are just now starting to go. It just sucks that it seems to be coming in a wave the last 6 months. But I do as much preventative care and TLC as I can since I have had it.