1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wifey gave the nod for 4.56s!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kinson33, Apr 19, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. kinson33

kinson33 New Member 100 Posts

The lady and I made an agreement when we got married, anything over $100 has to be discussed. Obviously the rate will be negotiated as we move up but it's probably saved us some $$.

ANYHOW, pretty stoked. Found a set with master install kit, front and rear axle for $500. Hopefully update y'all soon.

One question. Will driving with the ABS light on until I get it tuned for the new gears cause any damage?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

First off WOW on the price, that is crazy suspiciously cheap lol!! I can't even get a Richmond ring and pinion for under $400.

As for the ABS I can't really say for sure, but I just upgraded from 3.42 up to 4.10 and the only thing I noticed is the transmission shifts a little different, but I also have not been retuned as of yet.

3. kinson33

Yeah it's all name brand stuff. USA Standard gears and Koyo bearings with the master kit. Seller on eBay has over 10k positive reviews so it seems pretty legit.

I heard that anything over 4.10 will set off the abs light but I haven't found a definitive answer as to what harm that can do to the truck, if any.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

> 4.10 will, indeed, trigger the idiot lights.

I don't know about driving with them on, as I retuned mine in the parking lot the day I picked it up when the regear was complete. :)
  5. kinson33

Yeah, I wanted to spread the cost some since a decent tune will be about $400, gears $500, then probably a few hundred for the labor on the front axle (don't think I'm up for that install).

Not bad all in all though, just have to break it up so she doesnt flip out $$:gasp:
  6. kinson33

just to add on, I've looked this guy up on other forums. Has a great reputation on a few truck sites. Ron's machining service
  7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 100 Posts

How do you like the upgrade so far? What improvements have you experienced, rear torque (pulling power), MPG, less downshifting while slight uphill grades? I am near a gear change myself and would like to know, your thoughts. Thanks for any reply....
  8. kinson33

Ordering them tonight, I take a lot of time before spending a few hundred (thrifty some say). I will definitely update as soon as they are in. I have been checking multiple forums for opinions on the 33" tire with 4.56 combo. You can order 4.10s factory with the 31" tire which is pretty close in effective gear ratio, so I feel comfortable with the setup.

Also:

I have called a few shops around town, all have said I won't do any damage to the vehicle with the idiot light on. Just an off speedo and lose the ABS system.

One of the mechanics I spoke with said when he installed his lift that the instructions recommended disabling the ABS... anyone heard of that or is that just an old school mechanic?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Superlift sells both a speedo calibrator (part #33003) and an ABS calibrator (part #3400). I have the speedometer calibrator and it worked perfect (allows 2 settings by a switch), it is a hardwired unit. I do not have the ABS recalibrator as I do not have 4.56 in my truck currently (will probably go to it eventually since the truck is no longer a dd)
  10. kinson33

Got your message, thanks David.

I'll look into that, just got the gears in yesterday! Now its just a matter of finding a day off to get them installed... lame, I know.

I've made a few connections through my work though and a mechanic shop down the street from me has a few guys that build their own rock crawlers, sound pretty knowledgable. Told me he knows how to calibrate the computer for the new gears and aftermarket tires. I'll see what he is asking for to do this.