Will 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton front diff parts interchange??????

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevyboy9880, Oct 1, 2010.

1. chevyboy9880

chevyboy9880 New Member

ok need some help. i have a 3/4 ton truck with a half ton front diff with brand new 35" tires on it (was like this when i bought it).. i have a front and rear to put in it with 4.10 gears vs the 3.73s that are shot in it right now. I dont want to loose my front tires being that they are 15 inch vs the 16.5's that are on the rear, so my question is can i swap carriors and pinions from my 8 lug housing to my half ton housing?? the only thing else i can think of is there anway i can convert my 8 lug front diff to 6 lug so i can still use my tires?? with the tires being over $200 a piece i really dont want to part with them till they are bald then i can eventually make the front diff 8 lug like it should be... any help wiuld be great

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What year and type of truck?

3. chevyboy9880

chevyboy9880 New Member

sorry. its a 87 chevy truck body on a 83 chevy truck frame

4. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

you can get an adapter the will bolt onto the 8 lug and convert to 6, look in the back of a 4x4 mag or goolge 6 lug to 8 lug adapters. will have to use acorn lug nuts to attach the adapter to the hub.

5. Chevyboy420

Chevyboy420 New Member

you can just make sure the housings are the same size and it should work

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 2 axles should be completely different and no parts will swap over. The 3/4 ton rear axle should be a 14-bolt, and it will be very expensive to swap it over to a 6-lug. I think if you do convert the axles to 6-lug full float, while you won't be able to keep the same rims, you should be able to fit 15 inch rims on.