Will 2000-2006- front drivers seat fit in 1998 Suburban?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, Jun 1, 2008.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey,anyone out there know if the later body style-2000-2006 Suburban front drivers seat-a powered one-will bolt on a 1998 Suburban.

The reason I ask is that I like the feel of the later ones.The foam is stiffer and that seems to suit me better than my 1998's soft foam.I drive long distances-just got back from a 3000 mile trip-so it would be worth it for me.The 1998 wasn't bad-the seats are big and comfortable,and you can adj and move around plenty on it.I just like the stiffer foam.

I know I could get an upholstery shop to remake the seat, but cheaper to go to a salvage yard, or Craigs list to get the late seat.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes it will fit. I had a 2003 interior in my 96 Suburban. If its a power seat you'll need to change connectors for the power wire, and the seat mount bolt holes need to be recentered.

3. phoebeisis

Tim,thanks for the response.So all I have to do is redrill the bolt holes in the seat mounting bracket.
    You say recenter-not sure what that means.Does it mean the holes are just a little bit off, or maybe the holes are a little bit smaller so they need to be widened?

I'm guessing you mean that the holes are in a slightly different position,but overlap where they need to be?

My current seat is powered-maybe I'll get lucky and the connectors will be the same-I doubt it but maybe.

Thanks,
    Charlie

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

1 hole needed to be completely drilled out and a spacer put in (left front if I remember correctly) and the holes for the right side had to be opened up a bit for alignment.
    I cut the power plug from the donor truck wiring harness and spliced it into my existing harness.

5. phoebeisis

Tim-thanks-got it. Charlie