1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will 2500 rear springs fit on a 1500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bigbluesub, Jul 13, 2012.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub New Member

Just wondering if the rear leaf springs from a 2500 or even a 3500 will fit on my 2002 Silverado 1500 LS extra cab 4x4. I am picking up a 27' trailer this weekend and I am already anticipating my trucks weaknesses.......thanks...
  2. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Member

Do you have 2500 springs ready to go? May be a lot easier to add a leaf spring or install airbags to help with the weight. What kind of 27' trailer? If a camper add your gear and weigh directly over the trailers axel or slightly behind to help reduce the tongue weight, that should help as well

Not sure if 2500 springs will fit, best thing to do is measure your and the ones you want to install
  3. paracutin

paracutin New Member

Springs are only part of the equation. The entire rear end in the 2500/3500 is much heavier built to handle the additional weight. Not to mention possible differences in the frame. You can't make a 1500 into a 2500/3500 by just swapping springs.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts

This times two.
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

This X3!!!
  6. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime New Member

A load distribution bar kit would be my first step before swapping leaf springs. Reese, www.reeseprod.com has many applications. If you have an RV dealer near by they usually carry them. The money you'll spend doing the swap, you cant get the load leveling you need without making your 1500 drive like a tank. My 1500 pulls my 20 foot 3000 lbs trailer with a tongue weight of 280 lbs without breaking a sweat or squatting.
    My best friend and fellow camper/trailer owner pulls his 25 ft 4600 lbs trailer with a 1500 with much the same ease. He did invest in an all in one anti sway and leveling kit, very necessary for maintaining control at highway speeds. Especially when it gets windy things can get interesting when a tractor trailer passes him.
    You did post the length of your new trailer but not the weight of the trailer or tongue weight. The average 27 ft being in the 5 to 6 thousand pound neighborhood with a 550 lbs tongue weight shouldn't be too imposing on your truck. I would defiantly look at a load leveling kit before putting in an add a leaf. I did have airbags from "Airide" on my last truck and being able to air up when I loaded the bed and air down when empty was cool and useful.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  7. Skippy

Skippy Member

I'm assuming the leaf springs are pretty much just to keep some play in the shocks, as they're not going to actually increase the load capacity. The same amount of weight will be on your axle either way. The 1500 doesn't have a full floating axle like the 2500 does. FF axles place the load on the wheels, rather than on the axle, as you'll find in the 1500. This means regardless of the springs you add, airbags you use, or other anti-sag devices, you're axle strength is likely to be a significant limiter. As other folks have mentioned airbags can also be used to reduce sag. You might also try timbren's suspension enhancement system (a WHOLE lot easier to install than helper springs, and they typically don't affect unloaded ride quality. A quick search will reveal though, that they have fans and "non-fans" as with air bags, or springs. I mention them only to give you options.). The timbrens will bolt on in place of your bump stops over the axle, and help reduce sag.

I would recommend though, before you massively upgrade the rear of your truck, as long as you're within spec of your towing capacity, you should seriously consider installing a weight distribution hitch. Those will do far more for your towing than simply raising the back end of your truck. Weight distribution systems will basically lift the point of connection putting more weight on the front axle and level out your rig with your trailer. The result is a far better ride, more traction control (as the weight is more evenly distributed across your rig's axles), and better rear end clearance (it'll lift your rig back up a couple inches.)

In-line sway control cams are also an amazing choice. They really do help with the load control.
  8. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

ok i was wondering the same thing, i doubt i will pull a 20 foot trailer but a car trailer for sure, when we loaded my old 3/4 ton on there my truck almost bottomed out, keeping the clowns load it front forward. but i guess some bags would be the way to go? i want to help the sag but if i want more strength then i need a axle? is changing the rear end really the way to go in my case? would i have to do something with the front since i have a 4x4? what cost could be expected or what leafs should i look at i will research the timbren's suspension enhancement system more later i wanted to post first long day at work ugh...