1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

will 275 fit on a 9in wide rim

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chihawks35, Mar 16, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

im basically putting some pieces together and i see on these tires that the recommend a skinnier wheel but i want to put http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx in 275/70/18 on these wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...lse&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

anyone have any input im kind of stuck and dont want to go through the hassle of ordering wheels and tires from different sites to find out they dont fit

thanks
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Here are the Specs, on a 275/70/18....below under the Rim Size, this size tire will fit Rims that are at a min of 7.5in"s in width and to up a max of 10.5in" Rim Width.

[TABLE="class: withlines, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TH]Tire size[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]275/70-18[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Section width[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]275 mm (10.8'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Sidewall[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]193 mm (7.6'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Tire Diameter[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]843 mm (33.2'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"].[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Rim Sizes[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]18x7.5 to 18x10.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
  3. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

ok yea on the cooper website it says they recommend 8.5 max thats why im kind of concerned just want to make sure theres no un even wear or any negatives to it, thanks for the input
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

I'm running 275/55/20 tires, on 20/8.5in" Factory Alloy Rims, the tires have a Section Width 10.8in"s, same as the 275/70/18's.....and I've had no Issues or Problems with this setup.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

ok sounds like it will work, i finally found a wheel i like and a tire i like thats affordable. lot of work trying to get a good match thanks for the reply
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

I would also mention.......if you Install a Larger Overall Diameter Tire, then what you have on your Truck Now......Keep in Mind, your Trucks Computer Calculates your Trucks Speed based on the Diameter of the Stock Tires. by installing Taller or Shorter Tires, the Trucks Computer doesn’t know how Fast the Truck is going. As a Result, the Automatic Transmission may Not Shift Correctly and the Speedometer Readings will Not be Accurate(as required by law)......and You Should and/or Need to have your Trucks Computer reprogrammed for this Change in Tire(Overall Diameter)Size.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

well im running 32 in 265/70/17 now so you think that jump would still really effect that?
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

Here are the Specs on the 265/70/17's....and the 275/7018's,

[TABLE="class: withlines, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TH]Tire size[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]265/70-17[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]275/70-18[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Section width[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]265 mm (10.4'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]275 mm (10.8'')[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Sidewall[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]186 mm (7.3'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]193 mm (7.6'')[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Tire diameter[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]804 mm (31.7'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]843 mm (33.2'')
    39 mm (4.9%) taller.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Rim sizes[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]17x7.5 to 17x10[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]18x7.5 to 18x10.5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Circumference[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]2525 mm (99.4'')[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]2647 mm (104.2'')[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Revs per mile[/TH]
    [TD="align: center"]637.5[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]608[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH]Speedometer[/TH]
    [TD]Assuming that this is OEM tire and speedometer readings are correct >>>[/TD]
    [TD]When Speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 62.9mph (101.3km/h): 4.8% faster.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The below site, is where I received the Specs on these 2-Tire Size's, its a Great Site!!!,
    http/wwwrimsntires.com/specs.jsp
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

damn that is really helpful. thanks i appreciate it. see and im not much of a car minded person so i wouldnt really think that adding an inch would change my speed almost 3mph. im assuming that can do some major damage to a tranny.

- - - Updated - - -

where would you recommend i go to get it re-programmed? a dealership? also any idea ballpark the cost on that?
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The speedometer wouldn't really bug me that bad, BUT Mike's right about the shift points. You will know if it starts up and down shifting going up hills more then it used to, to me 33" tires are borderline depending on your gear ratio. Congrats on your choice, they look real nice!!

You'll get a long time out of the tranny depending how you drive, my boyfriend had 33"s on his Colorado and he ran it with 3.42 gears and a 5 cylinder. It constantly downshifted, and was annoying as hell but he kept driving it. The 4l60e held up fine, but after about 50,000 miles of this the 3 and 4 clutches finally wore out and were in need of replacement.