1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

will 98 Suburban 4L60E fit in 2002 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by phoebeisis, Aug 2, 2008.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Does anyone know if a 1998 Suburban 2wd 1/2 transmission 4L60E I think -will drop in a 2002 Suburban-2wd 1/2 ton.

I ask because I want to up to a later model Suburban, but my trans was rebuilt just 20,000 miles ago and works fine.The one I buy a 2002 or 2003 will have 90,000 miles on it- maybe hard towing miles(no way of knowing how hard a life something lead).

My 1998 probably won't sell for $2500 despite being in great shape, so no point in not switching transmissions - if I can.

Thanks,
    Charlie
  2. Superado

Superado Member

99.99% sure that it WILL NOT
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Superado- Thanks! One more good reason to hang onto my 1998 ,and forget about upgrading to a later model. My 98 runs just fine-206,400 miles- but lotta miles, I would like a 2004 for the 5.3, better brakes, better FE etc. However my 1998 is worth so little -resale or trade in(maybe $1500 private sale)- that I would just have to keep it even if I bought a later model.

I'm currently broke, so just as well.

Thanks,
    Charlie
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think it would, but don't quote me on that. As far as I know, they haven't changed the 4L60E since it was made, and I'm fairly sure they're still using it in all the half-ton trucks.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I thought it was changed to a 4L65E, just some enhancements as it would be needed to go from running a 5.7 to the 5.3 for the different power bands