GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Will a 2010 2500HD 6.0 Gas fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by liberate, Aug 13, 2010.

1. liberate

liberate New Member

I just got done test driving the truck, I LOVE it, much better build quality over my 09 tundra, though I think the salesman told me wrong on the tow ratings.

Said truck is the work truck, reg cab, long box, 4x4, 6.0 with the 3.73 gear, apparently it only tows 10.2k? That makes absolutely zero sense considering my tundra is rated at 10.3k MAX and this truck is a monster compared, the salesman said that model pulls 12.2k with ease, is the salesman wrong?

Anywhoo back to my other question, I am wanting to get rid of my truck as the build quality and overall truck is poor quality, I want to start a small car hauling business(single car on a single car hauling trailer, something on the side) and I didn't want to stick 10.3k behind the tundra, I didn't trust the truck, nor do I think putting that much weight on a half-ton and taking a 500 mile round trip be nice on the components.

Will this 6.0 2500hd fit my needs?

I am new to chevy, I grew up in a ford family, my dad only buys HD fords, so I came here for some wisdom.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

You have 2 Rating's for Towing......Max. Trailer Weight and GCWR....Gross Combine Weight Rating.....

A 2010...2500HD...Reg Cab....4x4 with a Long Bed....with a 6.0 Liter and 3.73 gears has the following Tow Rating's......
    .....Max Trailer Weight......10,200lbs.....and a Gross Combine Weight Rating......[GCWR] ........of 16,000lbs

And if the Truck has.....4.10' Gears....the Rating goes to....a Max Trailer Weight of....12,700lbs and GCWR of......18,500lbs....
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Welcome to the club. If your serious about the car haulin business than get a Duramax deisel. I know its alot more money but in the long run it will pay off. If you don't really need a 4X4 than get a 2wd. I have friends in the car haulin business in Fl. and they all have deisels. One thing about deisel trucks, not only is the engine stronger but everything else is heavy duty such as the transmission,axles,frame etc...
  4. mad1500hd

mad1500hd New Member

x2 what silveradotrailblazer said. i use to run a construction clean up biz and the duramax can pretty much pull anything anywhere safely and you will get a little better gas mileage than the 6.0 on hauling...just my $.02
  5. liberate

liberate New Member

A diesel is what I wanted, but the car hauling side project is just that a side biz, I rather not spend so much money on a truck to have the car hauling fold. That's why I wanted to start out a single car hauling trailer and see if I could make it grow, then upgrade to a diesel one ton, bigger trailer, more cars. etc.

My question to you is, can the 2500 model I am looking at, do it? I am totally new to 3/4 ton trucks.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

If your hauling just 1 car at a time than a properly equipped (heavy duty trailer towing package) 3/4 ton should be fine.
  7. liberate

liberate New Member

http://www.dmchevy.com/VehicleDetails/670955263

This is the truck I am looking at
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

If you liked the 2010 2500HD 6.0 Gas I'd recommend holding off a few months for the 2011, I just got a sneak test ride in a 2011 2500 HD with a 2010 2500 HD along for comparison, they both had similiar mileage but the difference between the two trucks was seriouisly noticeable. The MSRP isnt supposed to jump either.
    Get a copy of Four Wheeler Magazine and read their article on the 2011 Heavy Duty pickups.
    I was seriously impressed with the changes.