Will a bad mass air flow sensor throw a code???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by KuttingEdgeInteriors, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Will a bad mass air flow sensor throw a check engine code? some say yes some say no? Anyone on here Know the answer?:neutral:

2. txsilverado

txsilverado Member

I had that problem on mine and i checked the codes which told me i had a bad mass airflow sensor, so i changed it and the code went away.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you should, you also may get some others as the computer will have a hard time keeping fuel to air ratio steady, so you could get misfires as well.

4. txsilverado

txsilverado Member

that was exactly what happened with mine. i got too lean and random/ multiple cylinder misfires as well. but once i changed the maf and started usin better gas it cleared right up

5. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Most definitely! Clean it or change it out ASAP. If you have to change it out, don't bother with an aftermarket brand, stick with the OEM.

6. Thanks for the help! Everyone I have been talking to has been giving me the run around, some saying yes it def... will and some saying no it won't... I did try another maf in my truck today and it still ran like sh!* so I have no idea whats wrong with my truck it is not throwing an engine light or any codes:neutral:

guess its goin to the shop tomorrow:grrrrrr:

7. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Did you clean the throttle body?

8. Yes I cleaned the throttle body and the maf? I'm not sure, I'm thinking maybe it is a cam position sensor or something who knows? Its just going to the shop!