1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will aftermarket trailer brake controller interface with Stbilitrak and TSC?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Dec 18, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a 2013 Silverado and it did not come with a trailer brake controller. I know that GM trucks now come with Trailer Sway Control that works in conjunction with Stabilitrak.

My question is if I hook an aftermarket trailer brake controller, will it be able to interface with the Stabilitrak and TSC?

Thanks.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Are you looking for a specific unit? That would make answering the question a little bit easier and save some time. Or are you just starting out and trying to see what options are available?
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

No.

There are some aftermarket units out there that connect to the OBD-II port and sense braking effort that way.

Many people in the towing community don't believe that "TSC" is helpful. Trailer sway is more safely and reliably controlled through proper hitching.
  4. stchman

Is it possible to hook up the factory trailer brake controller to a Silverado not equipped with it?
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've looked into it, and it appears to be factory only. GM calls it an intergrated trailer brake controller (RPO = JL1), there appears to be a number of modules and harnesses required to add it, along with a flash to the PCM.
  6. stchman

The dealer I bought my truck from did not order it on the MSRP $44K LTZ I bought. I would have liked that and a factory sunroof. The Nav can be gotten with an OGM-1.
  7. CKNSLS

CKNSLS New Member 100 Posts

A Prodigy brake controller and a PROPERLY SET UP WD Hitch will be satisfactory. Google Equalizer Sway Control.
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

WE know, but like stchman, I like the clean look of the factory install.
  9. JRD761

JRD761 New Member 100 Posts

I have a Husky Excursion hooked up to my 2012 (that didn't have the factory brake controller). I don't think that it utilizes the Traction Control / Stabilitrack / ABS systems that the truck has; I don't see how the trailer brake controller could see what they're doing. But, then again, I don't really think I've been in a position to where I had to actually rely on those systems, so I may be mistaken..
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know of no aftermarket brake controller that's engineered to work with Stabilitrak and TSC. High end proportional brake controllers tie into the master cylinder and detect pressure changes, there, to determine how much brake force to apply. The mid-grade proportional units use accelerometers to detect pitch changes in order to determine how much brake force to apply. The low end time-delayed brake controllers apply a user-settable (based on trailer weight) amount of braking force delayed across a given amount of time after the brake pedal is pressed -- with the idea being to apply a little force soon after the pedal is pressed and then ever more (up to max) as the pedal remains pressed.

Note that none of these approaches are aware of Stabilitrak or TSC...