1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will GMC HD 2500 truck rims fit a 1999 3500 Savana?

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by Twgman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Kady

Kady New Member

Thanks. I unfortunately sold my suburban 3 years ago. My running boards were stock that came on the truck
  2. 65taurus

65taurus New Member

This is a great topic and an interesting question. I am a newbie here but this question drew me in. I have been investigating this myself in detail as I want to place a set of the HD aluminum rims on my 02 Express 3500 that we use as a camper and college hauler. I currently have the steels with trim rings but want to upgrade rims when I get new tires in the not to distant future. I borrowed an HD rim from a friend to check fitment on the van. Bolt pattern was fine but there was no tire on it to check clearances. I took lots of measurements and came up with the following for what it is worth.

The aluminum wheels are 16x6.5Jx28 which is a 6.5 inch wide rim with a 28mm offset. The steels are 16x6.5 but there is no offset marking that I can find so I kept measuring and as near as I can tell, the offset is very close to 17mm. So the difference in offset (11mm) equals .433 inches (about 7/16") closer to the center of the vehicle. Both sides combined narrows the track (distance between the tires) by a little less than an inch. This may be considered very minor but I am not sure. I do not want to affect the vehicle handling or stability. I considered spacers to compensate but then thread engagement of the lug nuts may become a concern unless the studs are replaced with longer.

Would love to hear of someone with firsthand experience.

Thanks for listening.:happy:
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013