1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

will not go into 4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by emmanuel, Nov 21, 2009.

1. emmanuel

emmanuel New Member

hello, first time on here and hoping some one can help my wifes suburban 1996 1500
    when u push the botton from 2 to 4 wheel drive u can here it clunk in as it always have but once u give it gas it just spins in 2 wheel drive and the botton flashes in 4 wheel drive. We cant make it up the drive way and my wife and kids have to walk up to the house to which is a issue due to the fact that we have couger and grizz in our area.
    We bought it and was told that the little motor was replaced that slides the arm in to engage the transfer from 2 to 4 wheel drive. since we have had it it has always had issues with this, some times when starting off it will make a grinding noise until u make a full stop and then u can hear something click in and then u can go but now the the 4 wheel drive still NO WORK can some one help me out
    Many thax MoMa needs help!
  2. Higgie

Higgie New Member

newbie to newbie

Hi,
    I'm new here as well and probably not much help.

I have traced similar problems here through out the board, and when you search for
    4WD, encoder motor (thats the motor you are talking about), encoder sensor,
    vacuum etc, you'll find a real bunch of threads with similar issues.

From what I understand it can be this encoder motor, the sensor, the switch, electrical problems with contacts, ground and sum clocked or damaged vacuum hoses and "switches".
    Seems some of the stuff to switch between 2 and 4wd is done by vacuum hoses.

maybe that helps,
    But as said, just search if you don't get a direct answer
    good luck
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. A great place to hang out for all things GM. Sorry to hear that you've got 4x4 troubles.

Your description makes me hesitate recommending replacing the thermal actuator. Sounds like you may have more going on than an actuator that isn't working. You could always consider the posi-lock cable actuator to get away from the factory electronic version. http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

Search the forums for thermal actuator or 4x4 actuator to see your other options.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Where do you live? I may not be able to fix the 4X4 but I sure as hell can drop a bear!
  5. x1LSUTigerfan

x1LSUTigerfan Member

i had to replace the little motor on mine but it sounds like your trouble is alittle more intinse hope you find the fix
  6. morgan

morgan New Member

No 4X

Hey,

If you're hearing noises but still nogo, i'd say it probably isn't an electrical problem more mechanical. I'd make sure your transfer case is 100% before you go spending money on components which may not be faulty...

Just an idea