Will the 20" wheels on a 2004 fit on a 2009?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Shooter, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Shooter

Shooter Rockstar 100 Posts

A customer of mine is trying to sell me a set of 20" rims off his AWD 2004 Silverado 1500 SS. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would work ok on a 2009 silverado 1500 2WD?
    I would like to have them to mount a set of winter tires on so that I can just change them over when bad weather sets in. I have 20's on mine now so size is not a problem, but I "think" the 04 had disk breaks, right? And the 2009 went back to drums in the back. I am not sure if that would make a difference or not? Or even IF they had disks in '04, they may not have started until '05??
    My parts guys in the back cant even tell me for certain if they will work or not, as they are different parts numbers for each model year, even if it is the same wheels.
    Thanks for any help you can give me on this subject.
    Shooter==>>

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I went to discounttire.com and looked up 20" for both makes and came out with the same wheel so I think they will fit. But I would see if he will let you test fit one on your truck first.

3. Shooter

The problem is he lives over 2 hours away from here. He really only comes in to visit me when it is time to get an oil change or some warranty work, just for something to do. So I would really like to give him a solid answer when I call him to put the deal together. (I dont really have the time to drive to him and try one on there as I work usually 7 days a week now with the market the way it is.)
    Like you, I have seen a number of sites that show the same wheels with the same order number for the 20" rims for the 04 and the 09. The only thing I am wondering is IF there may be a difference between factory rims and aftermarket? With an aftermarket rim it would be easy to shape one on the inside to fit a number of different applications. Where chevy would just make them to fit what ever they were building that year when they bid them out. (At least that has been my expreance with other after market items.) If wheels are like that or not I dont know?
    I think mostly it depends on the bolt pattern and IF they have drum or disk brakes as standard equipment.
    Thank you for your help. I am VERY grateful to you for your assistance. :happy:
    I did just come out of the clouds long enough to look up replacement brakes for the '04, they are all disk breaks. So, does anyone know if you can use the wheels from a disk brake truck on a drum break truck?
    Thank you in advance.:happy:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They should fit just fine. You could put the new wheels on the 04, so i dont see why it wouldnt work the other way. on an 04 SS, it would have 4 wheel discs, but this shouldn't affect anything. the hubs should be the same size, and the lug patterns are the same. Lug pattern (guaranteed to fit) and hub size (almost definitely the same) are all that matter. Whether it has disc or drum brakes does not affect this, as the wheel mounts the same way regardless as long as everything fits.

5. Shooter

Great!!:great: Thanks a bunch. I will give him a call tomorrow and see what I can work out with him.
    Have a good night.
    Shooter==>>