1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Will Vortec heads work on lt1 block

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jay3134, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jay3134

Jay3134 New Member

Well I figured out that putting the the lt1 in the truck as a whole is going to be to time consuming so i was wanting to know if i could use the lt1 block and put all of my vortec parts on...cam,heads,intake,distributor...i know the lt1 has a different ignition set up but could i just use everything off the other motor minus the block....(bottom end blew on 96 chevy 5.7 vortec) any info would be great
  2. Mikes71Nova

Mikes71Nova New Member

The heads will physically bolt on, but thats about it. The LT1 is a reverse cooled motor; the traditional small block pumps water from the block up to the heads, the LT1 does it the opposite so the water passages between head and block are different. There would be no provision in the block for the rear mounted distributor, which the vortec intake would have. The intake bolt patterns are also off, so none of it would work together. my opinion? get a replacement vortec shortblock or use all LT1 hardware)
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Maybe am wrong, but even if everything did work, wouldnt the vortec truck heads be limiting the LT1 engine
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

Not really.. Vortec heads and lt1 heads are very similar other than the reverse flow cooling.