Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Winch on a brush guard?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ShadowRejects, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ShadowRejects

ShadowRejects Rockstar 100 Posts

hey guys, ive been looking for some cheap winch bumpers and the only thing that comes up is brush guards and they arnt winch specific. i was wondering, could you mount a winch on a brushguard and it wont yank it off the frame? because id rather pay 100$ for a brush guard than rather 1000 dollars for an entire bumper

2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Nope. Most brush guards are really flimsy, even the $500-$600 ones are just for looks and if you could find a way to mount a winch to them they'd bend or break off the first time you tried to use it. Most of the cheap brush guards will also make you take out your tow hooks because that's where they mount.

If your goal is just to have a winch on the front, the easiest and cheapest way other than making something yourself is just buy a front mount trailer hitch and the slide in winch mounting plate. You'll be out around $200 and you know it'll be strong enough.

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep front mount reciever is the way to go, that's what I'm going to buy for my 2500HD. I can get the 2" front reciever for $164 at Tractor Supply Company, and the winch reciever adapter for $69.99 at 4 wheel parts

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Warn makes a grill gaurd for your truck that you can get with or without a winch plate. The winch plate is a option so you can buy the guard now and add the plate later.

5. ShadowRejects

thanks for the replies everyone :) i was just being curious! anyways i like the reciever thing, i might do that instead!

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The one thing I don't like about reciever hitch winch mounts is that all the stress goes to that reciever/winch point, where as on a grill guard the stress is spread over more of the guard and its mounting points. Hope I explained that in a way so you understand.

7. ShadowRejects

i see what you mean, thanks for all your help :D

8. pondfishr

pondfishr Member

I have a Warn brush guard with a factory design interchangeable winch plate / receiver hitch on my 94 Z71. To complete the package I purchased a Warn 9k winch in a receiver hitch mount. With this set up you can either mount the winch to the plate on the brush guard or go portable by replacing the plate with the receiver hitch mount. The portable winch then slides into the male receiver hitch on the truck. Just a few bolts to swap from the plate to the hitch mount and you are ready to go either way.

9. ShadowRejects

Thats exactly what i want to do. Atleast someone has tried and done it with sucess! thanks man!

10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I disagree with the second poster about the more expensive brush guards being just for looks. My dad has one on his 2000 (ranch hand brand) and after hitting a deer at 70 mph, only needed to replace the grille and drivers side head light/turn signal lens. The brush guard even escaped with only a small dent in it. After that, he took it to a welder and had a couple of gussets put on it for even more strength. He has been thinking about putting a winch on it, but he takes it off in the winter time to put his plow on, and being and old guy and stubborn as hell, he won't ask for help when taking off his front accessories so he doesn't want to add more weight to the guard.