Winch size question.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by inkd4life2425, Jul 13, 2012.

1. inkd4life2425

inkd4life2425 New Member

I want to get a winch for my 02 silverado 4x4, but not sure what size winch would be the ideal for my truck. 2000 lb? 3000lb? If anyone could help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I personally sized mine so that it could pull my truck out of things if it had max load on it ... and then added overhead so that I'd have some wiggle room if it were to get stuck while pulling my fully loaded truck out. Normally, for me, that would have meant a conservative formula of GVWR x2, however I then had to consider the largest winch I could put in the hidden winch carrier Warn makes ... and this sized me down to a 9.5xp (which is a 9500lb rated winch/line).

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

2,000 and 3,000 pound winches are more for 4 wheeles and side by sides

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yup. This is correct...

5. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

A general rule of thumb to follow is at least 1.5xGVWR and ideally it would be 2xGVWR.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Like Bulldog posted general rule of thumb is 1.5 xGVWR or better most serious off-roaders will tell you anything less than a 9500 on a full size truck is a waste of a winch.
    2000 or 3000 would make a great winch for a utility trailer where most times you have a rolling item or as stated for ATV's, not big enough for even a Suzuki Samurai in the woods though.
    When you buy your winch dont forget to get a good assortment of snatch blocks, straps, clevis hooks, and tree savers, with out the accessories a winch is almost worthless. A good snatch block can double your line pull if used properly. Also make sure you secure the winch to the frame real well, I've seen more than 1 winch pull a weak bumper right off.
    When buying a winch look at specs like line speed, continuous amp draw, duty cycle, chances are if you get into a situation where you need a winch you may need it more than once in a short time and you really dont want to sit around waiting for the battery to charge or the winch to cool.
    Theres a lot of cheap winch's on the market, spend the money for a decent brand with a good reputation, I've seen more than one wheeler having to constantly rebuild his winch everytime he wants to use it.
    Ramsey, Superwinch, Warn, these are the names you want to look for, dont be fooled by the cheap disposable low priced Chineese junk that will fail everytime you need to use it.

7. inkd4life2425

inkd4life2425 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start doing some shopping around.

8. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

HOWEVER IF you put on a 2k or 3k pound winch, you will need ALOT of snatchblocks to get unstuck lol

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Yes at least 1.5X truck weight. I would agree that a 9 or 9.5 would be ideal. But as [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION] stated a good winch isn't any good if it is not mounted well. Another option you could look into is a synthetic rope instead of a cable. There are a few advantages to these. 1. it does not store energy like a cable so if it breaks it doesn't whip around it just falls to the ground. 2. there isn't anything to catch your hand on like pieces of cable 3. and the weight of the line. Your pulling capacity isn't effected by using the rope.

10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thats a good point, Synthetic line is probably one of the best things made for winch's in the last few years.
    I use Synthetic on the winch's on my rockcrawler, the only reason my Tacoma doesnt have it yet is the cost, after buying two lines for the crawler the wife got a little anxious (that would be a good word to describe it) but it is worth the price, and I'm just cheap and getting all the use I can out of the winch cables I took off of my other trucks by using them on the Tacoma.
    If you go the Synthetic line route pay careful attention to the instructions about fairleads and accessory tools, you can easily destroy the line if you dont watch what your doing.