Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Winches

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by masterfoxscout, Jul 31, 2009.

?

Which winch should I get?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2009.
  1. Warn M8000

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Superwinch EPi 9.0

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Ramsey Patriot 9500

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Alright, I plan on getting a winch for my Jeep. I'm torn between a couple of winches. The shipping to Alaska is rediculous, so I want to get it right. Thoughts?

2. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

personally i perfer warn

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would use the Warn 9.5XP. We were a Warn dealer and the factory rep would stop by our shop once a month. He recommended this winch because it has heavy duty parts and a six hp motor. He said it was made with the jeep owners in mind who do serious offroading. I put one on my 05 Silverado Crewcab and its pulled my truck out of mud that was up to the doors. Also at the time he stated that he and the other reps were installing these models on there jeeps.:great:

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

We have the Superwinch 9.5 on our car trailer, and it gets used about a dozen times a year and has never failed us yet. It has the remote so you can stand back from it, which is a nice additional feature. The only reason we bought that particular brand, was at Truck Fest at Summit Racing they were selling them for $349 with the snatch blocks, straps, roller fairlead, and some other stuff. We couldn't pass it up though, I don't know about the other one's because I have never had them.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I forgot to mention in my other post that we were at on time a Ramsey dealer and gave them up as we had way to many issues with them and ther tech dept was useless. I know people that use the Superwinch on trailers for loading vehicles but never offroad so I cant comment on there offroad use.

6. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Always used warn, personally love them.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ramsey hands down.
    My REP 8000 is 25 years old, the only problem I've had was a bad solenoid, which can be fixed by either swapping the power wires from side to side (Ramsey still uses redundant solenoids for up/down function) or by finding an older truck in your group and stealing the starter solenoid (preferably an older Ford).
    This winch has been on 15 different trucks over the years and has outlasted a Superwinch and a Warn 8274 (Warn would be a close 2nd choice though because my 8274 was 18 yrs old when the gear case finally broke due to my improper torquing of the case bolts)
    Some newer Superwinch and Warn models use a circuit card for power switching, if I'm out in nature I dont have time to worry about a delicate circuit card that might get damaged.

While your looking price out Fiber Steel or Amsteel Blue winch line, its a great addition that takes a lot of weight off the front of the truck (around 35lbs). Dont remember who but some one recently started selling roller fairleads that work with synthetic lines.

8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i have always used warn and never had a problem

9. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I live in Utah, and all of the locals seem to run Warn. You don't want a winch going out on Hell's Revenge when you're high-centered on a ledge. I would put Warn or Milemarler on my truck if it was a 4x4, but it's not being built to off-road.
    Good luck man, I'm out.

10. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well if it were for my truck, it would be a Warn M15000 without question. Since my Jeep is a little lighter, I wanted to broaden my horizons. I think the deal is sealed though....Warn just dropped the price on the M8000 from $949 to $539....easy choice now.