1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wind noise on back door windows

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 06OlBlue5.3, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 06OlBlue5.3

06OlBlue5.3 New Member

I have an ext cab and the pop out windows on the back 2 doors does not seal properly. Anybody know a quick fix for this?
  2. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

What year is the truck? Are the seals in good shape? What kinda of condition are the latches in? Do you plan on opening the windows agian if not put a thin bead of silicone around the gasket before you close the window and let it dry before you drive it.
  3. 06OlBlue5.3

06OlBlue5.3 New Member

Its an 06' The stripping and the latches seems to be in good condition. And I really dont use those windos for anything.
  4. TMRuiz

Just a small bead of silicone should do the trick. Just make sure to don't get it on the metal it will make the metal rust after a while because the silicone is kinda acitic. Not to mention big globs of silicone just looks funky. Good luck.
  5. 06OlBlue5.3

06OlBlue5.3 New Member

I'll try that. Will it seal it for good or just give it a better seal. Will i lose function of the window?
  6. TMRuiz

Yes it will seal for good and yes you will loose function of the window. You can try and tighten the latches ( I think they might have an adjustable latch but not sure ). You can also try to put some shims between the latch and where it mounts to the body to try and pull the window in a little more. I'm sure you already made sure all the hinges and latches were tight so the shims just on the latch might do just what you need. The best way to make sure you have a good seal w/o driving all over the place. Take a dollar bill and put it between the glass and seal, lock the hasp and try to pull the bill out. It should not slide out very easily try that alll the way around and it will let you know where you need to focus on sealing that thing back up.
  7. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

This is a cool thread as I also have this problem, but I use my windows often because people ride around with me.
  8. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

yep, write a nice letter to GM with big thank you. 2006 and it already has same noise problem?:rofl::rofl:

anyways, cleaning the seals won't help. you can't get all the way through.
    should you decide to kill the function and seal it forever - as I drove 450 miles with that noise behind me on FWY, and it is TOTALLY ANNOYING - be aware! silicone will melt during the hot days and streak down on the body panels. I am witness to that!

I'd say - and I just make music louder - best way is to remove the windows completely, clean the seals, windows, and lube seals with something like Vaseline to restore the tightness.

Good luck!
  9. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

I am having a similar problem but with my front drivers side door. From the outside you can see that it does not shut all the way. The passenger side hugs the cab of the truck much more than the drivers side. During car washes I have to pull the door towards me to prevent water dripping on my leg. I almost think the truck may have been in an accident because the hood doesn't sit completely flush to the fender on that side.
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sound like the hinge bushings are worn out, I would take the time to fix that sooner than later because if you let it go your gonna have to replace the hinge as well. (the bushings are much cheaper) It's not too difficult to do yourself but you'll need a friend to help support the door! And the spring can be tricky too!