1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Window tint - do it yourself?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by trimhalifax, May 30, 2009.

1. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Has anyone done their own window tinting.If so what were the results and what manufacturer was used.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Results were ok, but not worth the time and effort it took me.
    Since then I take cars to a shop for tint.
    I used Solar, I think it can only be bought in bulk though.
  3. Blazerado

Blazerado Rockstar 100 Posts

I do window tint, just go to the best shop in your area or search the web for someone who has a plotter and can pre cut it for you. It makes it easier, but remember when doin it the tools are as important as the tint. Everything needs to be clean, use filtered water with dawn dish soap or johnsons baby shampoo. Not too much just enough to get the water a little bubbley. Make sure you wipe the gaskets off from around the glass they hold a lot of dirt.
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I say take it to a professional as well. All the bubbly tint you see out there..?.. all from people that did it themselves. Safe yourself the hassle, and spend the extra bucks knowing that it's money that's well invested.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the DIY stuff deteriorates with the sun so even if you don't get that nasty bubbling you'll get a discolouration to where you're tint will turn that purple/grey colour.
  5. swampdonkey22

swampdonkey22 New Member

id say take it to some ome cause ive tryed and failed a few time...and i have a buddy who does it and he says use a carbon tint because its is not post to fade purple over the years like alot of tint does
  6. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've done it myself before but rely on shops now simply because just about every single shop out there offers a life time warranty on their tint job for as long as you own the vehicle. I love that aspect because it saves me the time and money of redoing it when it gets scratched by the kids or dogs.

-Greg
  7. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be taking it to a tint shop for sure.
  8. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

thats a good idea. ive tinted windows b4. although its not hard it just takes time and can get annoying after a lil while. i got my entire truck done with 5% tint for $80. witth he front strip.
  9. iPublicEnemy47

iPublicEnemy47 Rockstar 100 Posts

ya I would also recommend going to a tint shop... My neighboors tried doing there own tint and failed , they gave up after one window so now their car kinda looks ghetto...
  10. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

Go to a tint shop,not that expensive. Lots of crappy lookin' tint out there,most all of them are home grown.