1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Window tint is confusing me

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sevi084x4, Feb 15, 2012.

1. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

So Got my truck tinted yesterday and i decided to only do the fronts and a sunshade because the back three windows already had factory 18% on them i went with 20% in the front. From the outside the tints look the same all the way around but when i get into the truck i swear the fronts are darker than the backs....I thought it was just my eyes playing in tricks on me but my girlfriend got into the truck and immediately said the same thing! This annoys me greatly and i think i might have to go back and put some over the factory crap just because of this. Anyone else notice this or have this problem?

Adam
  2. Cheez

Cheez Member

I believe the difference you are seeing is the type of tint. After market window tint is generally a film. I'm not sure what GM does but some makers use an electrical adhesion process called deep dipping. This isn't a form of tint as much as it is a darkened piece of glass. If it really bothers you that much I would suggest getting some 80%-90% tint put on over the stock tint.

On the other hand alot of tint is how much light is behind it. I have 20% on my truck, and depending on where the light source is I can sometimes see straight through it, and other times it looks just as black as can be.
    Here's a pic from the front.
    [​IMG]
    Here's one from the back.
    [​IMG]

I hope I helped and wasn't just rambling to myself...
  3. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are not use to tint it does seem a little weird at first. You will get use to it in a few days. GM tint in in the glass where yours is a film like Cheez said.
  4. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Yah i guess its just a bit weird to me because on my 08 i had 35% in front and on the back ones i went over them with 5% so they were just like mirrors haha
  5. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You had 5% over factory tint? How as seeing out at night? How was driving in the rain at night? I have 20% over factory on my back glass and wanted to do 5% but was skeered.... If it was liveable I will be going darker very soon!
  6. Cheez

Cheez Member

I would not advise 5% over factory tint. I did that on my 96' Tacoma and driving at night is scary. It's difficult to see in the back window in the sun with your face and hands pressed against them.
  7. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Yah it was scary haha. Wasnt too bad with the tow mirrors though, dididnt have to check blind spots and such but no i would never do it again. The rearview mirror was useless.

8. Cheez

Cheez Member

That's how my Toyota was. At night cars directly behind me looked like somebody was shining a flashlight at the truck 50' away... :no:
  9. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Hahahaha yah. Would tell anyone that asked about to never do it. :lol:

10. MTM

MTM New Member ROTM Winner

Yea I have 1% in the back and the back side windows and they look like a black wall at night...if headlights shine through they look like a flashlight also...but love it would never have factory smoked glass