Window tint question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Pruett, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Pruett

Pruett New Member

Ok Im gonna sound stupid here, but what is my stock window tint? Im looking at numbers on the windows and Im seeing DOT 15 and 77's. They are really light. Also I want to get them tinted, so what is a good tint % thats not completely ghetto? I dont need any trouble with tint tickets.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I can't remember what degree of tint the Auto Makers put on the Window/Side Glass......below is a link showing you what degree of Tint is legal in each state,

Link,
    http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my '08 the factory tint was marked at being 16% and I had 18% put on the front two windows and 20% over the factory tint on the back glass.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Thanks Alston......I just could not Remember what degree of Tint they come with from the Factory.....:glasses:

5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Anytime Mike!!

6. Pruett

Pruett New Member

thanks for the legal tint numbers. but im still not understanding. i know nothing about window tint. so if yours came stock with 16% tint, im thinking maybe the dot 15 means 15% but i have no idea. they are practically clear. they are not even close to how dark yours is ajar. sorry for being so stupid with this subject.

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Great link

Here are some pics of tint on my wifes car. the front side windows are at 50% and the rears are at 5% (nothing on windshield). the 50% are illegal in CA but i have never had an issue. there are plenty down here with limo tint on all windows (too much for me).
    The link showed 32% all around for your state.
    So pic one is inside looking out facing away from sun, 2 is outside looking in facing sun, 3 outside in facing away from sun (in the shade too), and then from the back looking in, sun on left hand side. you can see through the window outside in when its sunny on the 5%. cell phone pics but hopefully they at least give you a little bit of an idea.
    Tint 1.jpg Tint 2.jpg Tint 3.jpg Tint 4.jpg

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

definately helps keep it a little cooler in the car as well.

Might be marked different by dealer, but window tint is based on visibility (opaqueness?). so smaller numbers are darker. Has to do with shining a light through and how much light is emitted on the other side.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

Keep in mind....The lower the Number, the Darker the film Allowed.....Generally the Films are Sold as 5%(Limo)....20%(Dark)....35%(Medium)....and 50%(Light).

10. Pruett

Pruett New Member

I have done a little more research. I now believe I have 70% tint stock. Im thinking about going 35 or so to keep it legal. Thanks for the help guys. I have learned alot from this site!