1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

window tint ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Patman, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Patman

Patman Rockstar

Hey, has nayone ever heard of window dipping or something like that. heres why, here in saskatchewan, canada you can not have window tint on you front side windows unless it is from the factory, so if you have a film on there the cop will peal it off and you will get a ticket. if you have your windows dipped/factory tinted ish you will not get a ticket as they cant do anything about it. I need help please, im willing to send my window anywhere to have it done at about 35-20% (dark).
  2. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

You might want to check the laws more thoroughly. Why wouldn't they still give you a ticket? Your reasoning seems to be because they can't peel it off, they can't give you a ticket? I think this is quite flawed. The law can easily be written to make illegal any level of tint on a windshield or front windows. The ability to peel anything off is irrelevant. Also Auto manufacturers do not tint the windshield or front windows on the driver and passenger sides for a good reason.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Patman, I've never heard of the "dipping" but it is probably close to the liquid spray that they used to use before they had the vinyl tints. You will probably have the same cop/tickets issue though cuz the cops can scratch the stuff off with their fingernails which will still get you the ticket.
    Here in the U.S. (at least in Oregon) we are allowed the front side windows to be tinted to a certain % but I'm not familiar with the amount. Are you saying that as long as it is factory tint, that it will be within your laws? If so it might be cheaper if you just buy two windows that are already factory tinted.
  4. Patman

Patman Rockstar

where can i buy factory tinted windows??
  5. stephan

I would try ordering them in from the closest dealer in the U.S. (closer saves you on shipping $$)
    Just be sure that the tint % is the same as what they allow in Saskatchewan.
  6. Patman

Patman Rockstar

they dont allow any with film... how deep can i go with factory??
  7. stephan

I think the factory tint is between 35% & 60% It's not a film like the aftermarket tints. I believe it's in the glass. You should call a GM dealer in the U.S. & ask them what's available.
  8. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I guess you didn't read or comprehend my above post. You can not buy front tinted windows from GM or any other auto manufacturer. They do not make them? Comprende?

9. Jay

Jay Rockstar

I wouldn't bother pushing the issue... if the tint meter says it's below the legal limit on a window that the statute says can't be tinted then you are going to get gigged. For Example...The legal limit in Mass is 35% and that applies to the side windows.... it doesn't include windows that were factory tinted and if you have a vehicle that didn't come with the back window tinted it can be as dark as you want it. However, if the legal limit is 35% and you purchase windows that are lower than that you are subject to citation.... whether or not you can peel the tint off doesn't mean anything. The short of the long is that I agree with "1fly" and I too have never heard of being able to purchase "factory tinted" windows that don't come tinted already when the vehicle was first purchased. Good luck tho.
  10. stephan

I too have never heard of being able to purchase "factory tinted" windows that don't come tinted already when the vehicle was first purchased.

I'm not understanding what you're saying there Jay. I've got factory tinted windows, & it isn't some Earl Schieb vinyl job, or spray on or dipped. It's in the glass, & they're pretty dark (not the windshield) Are you saying if I break one & try & order a replacement that GM is only going to send me a clear one cuz they don't have tinted replacements anymore?