1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

windsheild wiper issue.

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by southernbrandt745, Mar 9, 2014.

1. southernbrandt745

southernbrandt745 New Member

I have a problem with my wipers. The switch simply spins and doesnt turn wipers on or off. They are left on and I have to remove the fuse in order to turn them off. Does that mean I have to replace the whole switch? If so does anyone know how? Thank you. Its a 1993 Sonoma with tilt and cruise thank you.
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Is the wiper switch on the turn signal stalk? Check parts store to see if there is a separate switch or assembly for that function. I would bet not and you will have to replace the whole thing.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am sure that you have to replace the entire stalk. My 1990 safari van had the same issue. I drove with no wipers for a year. Well, I had them I just had to put the fuse in. I finally got sick of dealing with it, so I removed the fuse, inserted a spade connector into one side of the fuse slot, then I installed an inline fuse and a switch that I mounted on the dash, and put the other wire from the switch to the other side of the fuse slot.
  4. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Yep, you'll have to patch it as Pikey says or replace the multifunction switch, which is expensive to buy and difficult to install.
  5. 4rfun2

4rfun2 New Member

Check with the auto supply stores. I had to replace the stalk on a Ford ranger. I bought a new one from O'Rielly's with a lifetime warranty for $30 less than Ford. Replaced it myself and it still works fine after 3 years.
  6. southernbrandt745

southernbrandt745 New Member

Thank you everybody. I just covered the window with rainX. lol. Its a 50 dollar part and really dont have the time. However now I am gonna try to trade or sell it so now I have to.