1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Windshield damage scratched terriblly

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by DeadHead, Dec 6, 2010.

1. DeadHead

DeadHead Rockstar

Early this morning I used a cd to clean the frost off the windshield, to my dismay I had scratched the bejesus out of it. Anyone know of anything I can do to fix the scratches? It is right in front of the view of the driver.

Posted by deadhead's wife....yes I did it, don't want you guys to tease him, he was at work.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

LOL wifey... I can't imagine that a plastic cd would scratch glass. I'm wondering if maybe the plastic just made marks on the glass from some plastic residue from the cd, rather than actually scratching it. Regular ice scrapers are made from harder plastic than cd' s. As far as taking it off the glass I would try some rubbing compound or some agressive wax with a lot of compound in it. You'll probably have to rub it hard, rather than just "wipe on wipe off" like a normal wax job.

3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good advice stephan! I didn't think about it not really scratching it till you said that! I've never thought about waxing glass. I guess that would bring it off but it won't leave any residue behind?

4. stephan

Actually the wax works really well, just like Rain X.... 99% of the time I don't even use the wipers anymore, don't need to. The rain just breaks into micro size drops & dissappears. The bugs in the summertime come off easy too.

5. ntbush83

Well thats pretty tight! So just any old wax and you apply it like normal?

6. stephan

Just clean the bugs & the grime off first. I don't know if any kind of wax works. I've always used Turtle wax.

7. ntbush83

Thats what I have right now. I wonder if it would make Ice easier to come off the windshield

8. stephan

I never thought about ice. It might make it easier to get it off, I have no idea. I always park mine in the garage so never have any ice on it.

9. ntbush83

Well I'll have to be the guinny pig and give it a try!

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Im 99% sure that it wont help on ice since ice gets into the micro cracks/holes in your glass and sticks that way. it may help a touch but im pretty sure you will still have a hard time with it.. Me I had to scrape this morning (-4F).....