1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windshield Replacement Woes

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by xJohnDoe001x, Apr 13, 2013.

1. xJohnDoe001x

xJohnDoe001x New Member

Friends,
    What do I do now? I removed the old windshield the wrong way on my '90 GMC pickup. I didn't cut the old adhesive close to the glass as I should've and after I had the glass completely removed I proceeded to scrap as much of the old off with a razor, exposing metal in places and and body filler at the sheet metal joints. I later did a search and learned that I shouldn't have done that.

I have a new glass that comes with the rubber seal on it and a tube of Amitek EZ-1 Hi- Viscosity Auto Glass Urethane

After I removed my windshield I found a forum on my phone with a post saying that I should cut the old adhesive close to the glass, leaving some old adhesive on the truck to apply new adhesive to and to not expose the bare metal or filler. it also said how to prep bare metal and body filler. I registered to that forum on my PC and closed the browser on my phone but I cannot find that post So I don't know how to fix what I did.

Also I cannot tell what kind of adhesive the old was, it's dull black and is hard to tell from the old rubber that was on the old glass. Anyway to clarify what I am asking my questions are:

* How do I tell what kind of adhesive held my old glass on?
    * How do I clean the old adhesive off?
    * Do I have to prep. the exposed body filler is so how?
    * Do I have o prep. the exposed metal and if so how?
    * Is $75 a good price for a new Windshield with rubber seal and a tube of Urethane adhesive?
    Sincerely Jon