1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

windshield size difference?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jonc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jonc

jonc New Member

I have a 89 c2500 and I was wondering If a 87 or 91 windshield would fit the 89? If so is it a job I could takle with right tools?
  2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member

A Glass shop might be able to answer the install question for you.
    The '87 won't fit. Different body style.
    A window from '88-'91 should fit, I'd try and stay with the same cab type if you can. Std or extended, just in case.
    From what I can see in the gm parts listings they use the same part # for a std window.
    They list a different # for a tinting option.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  3. joncf

joncf New Member

Thanks for the info scott. I guess I'll go with the 91 then. The next thing is the weatherstripping which i hard to locate guess I'll try the glass shop which probably won't be cheap. I'm just trying to prevent spending $230 install price. I found a windshield for $35 so we'll see what happens.
  4. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member

When you say "weatherstripping" are you talking about the cover trim, or the actual adheasive to glue the glass in.
    The adheasive you should be able to buy at any decent parts supply store that sells body repair supplies.

I did a glass install on one of my cars a number of years ago, and one thing I learned from that, installing front/rear window glass is something I won't do again. It's an art. one that I don't posses. I can do most anything mechanical or electrical, but I don't think I'll do a front window again.
    I'll pay the glass shop to install it. Even if it's to only install a window that I purchaced from a salvage yard, it's worth it to let a pro install it.
    Cleaning out the old adheasive, getting it lined up, getting it sealed down quite well so it doesn't leak.... damhik.

YMMV
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would shop around. I had a windshield put in my 02 for $125 installed. With a one year warranty. If it chips or cracks for any reason they replace it.
  6. 613werley

613werley New Member

i own and run a glass shop. the best think to do is put a windshield 1n for a 1995 the part # is dw1217. it will fit better then the 89. and if u want a good job done youre going to spend around 225 anythink less your wasting your money.