1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windshield washer fluid won't flow

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kdogusa69, Dec 15, 2010.

1. kdogusa69

kdogusa69 New Member

2009 Silverado

Wipers work fine but twist the lever for fluid and none comes out. Any ideas? And yes, i added wiper fluid. In the correct tank.

Is it possible a hose is disconnected that goes to the washer fluid tank? I looked but couldn't see where it went once inside engine compartment. Point me in any direction?

Thanks.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Do you hear it trying to pump the fluid? If not, check the fuse. If the pump is working and you don't notice any fluid coming out, a line could be plugged someplace. If the pump is working, I would also check to see if the fluid level drops after letting it run for a few moments....if it drops, then it sounds like you have a leak or the hose disconnected.
  3. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I had this problem on my Uplander,found a hose disconnected but still didn't have any fluid coming out.Couldn't hear the pump and no burnt fuse so the dealer ordered a replacement,luckily its not going to cost me any money because its still under warranty.
  4. mfleetwood

Interesting..I wonder if the system somehow loses pressure from a disconnected hose and it keeps the pump from pumping? Did the dealer mention what happens when the hose disconnects? Also, was it the hose the dealer replaced or the entire unit? In any case, glad it was under warranty.
  5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

You live in cold climate? Perhaps water got into lines and it is frozen. ?
  6. kdogusa69

kdogusa69 New Member

I do live in Northern Michigan but since the last time i used the windshield washers i don't think its gotten warm enough to get water in the lines i wouldn't think. Gonna check in the morning if there is a fuse for the washer pump because when i twist the wiper lever i hear no noise like the washer pump working so hopefully that will be it.
  7. mfleetwood

Let us know what you come up with....interesting problem.
  8. kdogusa69

kdogusa69 New Member

Will do. Thanks for the thoughts.
    After looking through the online owners manual, looks like there is a fuse for the front washer pump (under hood #7). So we'll see what happens when i swap out that fuse.
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

He didn't say what happens when the hose disconnects and they replaced the whole unit.
  10. mfleetwood

Thanks Bomber!!