1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windshield washer pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by truck3, Jan 22, 2008.

1. truck3

truck3 New Member

I posted this in C/K Tucks by mistake. (Newbie mistake.)

Now I think I'm in the right place.

I'm about to put my 2nd washer pump in my 2001 Silverado. I replaced it a little over a year ago and it's leaking again. Is anyone aware of a service bulletin or anything on the washer pump.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

So this is the 3rd pump that you're working on? Where do you live again? Do you have it serviced or do you put your own fluid in? I'm not aware of any issues, but someone can lookup the TSB if they can...
  3. dpl96

dpl96 New Member

1500 washer pump

Imagine my surprise when I climbed in my truck yesterday morning and found that my windshield washer pump simply quit working. It worked fine last time I used it, about 3 days ago ..... but now nothing. Can anyone tell me where it is located? Thanx
  4. truck3

truck3 New Member

I live in VA. I do my own service and fluids.

For the other responder, the fluid resevoir is actually under the battery. There is a filler opening between the battery and the radiator core support.
  5. petek1065

petek1065 New Member

The pumps are located in the reservoir underneath the battery. They're not easy to change but I found mine at NAPA for less than 20 bucks. If the battery is older and leaks a little bit it corrodes the pumps, particularly the one mounted at mid--level that runs the rear washer. It's a serious design flaw. To prevent this from happening again you may want to keep a close eye on your battery tray and look for corrosion. If it's slightly damp from corrosion you can bet it's also leaking on your pumps below.
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had this happen on my Wife's 2001 Suburban as well. Both the front and rear pump motors (located under the battery tray) were coroded and had to be replaced. I actually went to the dealer to buy the motors so it's good to know that they do make after-market pumps.
  7. Hamelfire

Hamelfire New Member

I have put 2 of them in my 98 350. I bought both from dealer and they were not that hard to put in. I believe that as posted above the battery leaked a little and ate the wires.