1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windshield washer

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by purplehaze, Aug 4, 2008.

1. purplehaze

purplehaze New Member

Has anybody had the problem with their window washer were the pumps on the water tank continue to crack or the water lines corrode. This has happened to me 2 times now and I cannot figure out why the pumps continue to break and the lines fall apart. The dealer ship says my battery leaked which may be the problem the first time but I have a brand new battery and my problem continues. I can't figure it out. Some of the guys here at work have the same problem so I was wondering if anybody else has come across this. Thanks.:great:
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had to replace the pumps and lines on our 2001 Suburban because of being cracked and corroded. That was my observation as well that being located beneath the battery that caused the problem. Must be a design flaw.
  3. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I haven't had that issue, but maybe spraying some of that battery anti-corrosion stuff on the pump/lines will help. You could also get some wire shroud for the lines.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Same problem on my '04 and I've learned to live with it. I carry extra water in the truck for when I really need to clean it.
  5. purplehaze

purplehaze New Member

I just replaced them again last night. It is a easy replacement but at $160 each time it is starting to add up. My battery is perfectly fine so I just don't know how the lines and pump are failing. this time I tied the lines off closer to the body so we will see if that works.
  6. b-radical

b-radical Rockstar 100 Posts

does anyone know if the sensor for low washer fluid comes before or after the pump?

in other words, if the sensor is out will it prevent the pump from working?
  7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Are you using any water in your WW tank or just the cleaning fluid? If you're using any water it may have too much calcium in it, or other minerals that are breaking down the plastics in your pump & hoses.
  8. b-radical

can you please tell me a little bit more about how the system works. i am guilty of cheaping out and puting water in. but now i need to fix it.

thanks.
  9. b-radical

thanks for your ehlp everyone. i know ill get this taken care of soon.
  10. b-radical

tight, no one answered my question.