1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Windshield wipers slapping at speed 2011 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Fenian, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Fenian

Fenian New Member

OK, here's a new one.

My 2011 Silverado Extended Cab Z71 has a weird issue in that occasionally, my wipers will slap/tap against the windshield causing an annoying TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP when I'm driving around 65-70 MPH. This only happens sometimes...don't know why.

The wipers/arms/blades are OEM.

Anyone?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like its time for new blades.. the springs are worn out causing them to flex with the wind.
  3. Fenian

Fenian New Member

The truck is less than a year old and has like 7000 miles on it.

Seriously?
  4. it also happens when you put a aftermarket bug deflector on the front sometimes.
  5. Fenian

Fenian New Member

Bingo, I have an aftermarket bug shield!

If the tapping increases in frequency or intensity I'll have to remove the bug shield and reassess.

Thanks bro!
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2, most likely the bugsheild.
  7. I had to take mine off and sell it for a loss, but the slapping does go away.
  8. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

bug gaurd for sure, my truck does the same thing from time to time, but i ignore it and turn up the radio.... :-D

Alex
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I forgot about the bug shield problem on the NBS trucks! sorry to mislead you. but yes here in MN we get less than 5K on a set of wipers this time of year thanks to the crap from the roads.. And they dry rot in the summer.