Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

windshield's dot matrix pattern

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by kaholarose, May 4, 2006.

1. kaholarose

kaholarose New Member

I'm going crazy trying to find information on what style (?) of windshield came on my 04 trailblazer. It took hours just to find out those little black dots are called a dot matrix pattern. There's got to be a term or description or something that specifically identifies the areas covered by a pattern. My original windshield had the dot matrix all the way across the top. I got a new windshield installed yesterday but it is not same style (?) as this one only has a small area of dot matrix in the center over the rear view mirror. The two idiots that work at this national chain auto glass repair shop gave me the "well gee lady it should be the same as the old one, are you sure it's different" routine." They're going to pull my old windshield out of the trash and save it until I get back there in the morning. My question is this - what do I call my original windshield's dot matrix pattern? I don't want to go in there looking like the idiots they are and would like to sound half way intelligent by using "technical terms." Can ANYBODY help me quickly?????
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Believe it or not, those "little black dots" are actually a screen printed shade design. They're placed on in the same way that a t-shirt has an image printed on it. It's a type of ink printed onto the glass.

I assume that you're referring to the built in shade at the top of the windshield?
  3. kaholarose

kaholarose New Member

I never did find out the terminology used to distinquish one windshield from another as far as dot matrix patterns or shading/tinting goes. You just key in the make and model in a computer and there's your windshield. Except in my case of course since they got the wrong one. While the auto glass tech told me the one I got was actually better than the one I had, I made them replace it anyway sticking to the theory that what came with the vehicle should be on the vehicle. Plus, how was I to know this was a better windshield than what came on my blazer, take this guy's word for it? I figure if the first one was good enough for GM it's good enough for me ! Turns out he may have been right, although I have no clue what "better" really means. I took a little stroll through the local Chevy dealership and discovered the one they installed by mistake is what GM uses on Tahoe's and Suburbon's. Does that mean Tahoe's and Suburbon's are "better" equiped than Trailblazer's, or just equiped differently? Then I have ask myself, do I really give a crap? I got a new windshield (finally), it's just like my other one, and didn't cost me anything but time. Life is good.