Winter *and* summer tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Stargazer, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Stargazer

Stargazer Rockstar

I'm shopping for a 17" winter wheel/tire package for my 2007 Yukon XL.

I was originally going to buy the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 winter tire because I read some good reviews on it.

But then I thought of using the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires as winter tires.

In most sizes the BFG's are rated for severe winter conditions, and I figured that if I ever wanted to do some off-roading during the summer, I could take the 20" rims off and put the BFG's on. With only AWD, I wouldn't be doing any heavy-duty off-roading, but I figure the BFG's would be better than 20" all-seasons or dedicated winter tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3.

Is that a silly idea? Using the BFG's like that?

Our winters here are fairly mild but conditions can range from mild to cold, wet, frosty/icy, dry, and a few days of snow--especially since I live above the snow line.

Will the BFG perform well as winter tire or is a dedicated winter tire like the Blizzaks better?

2. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like you have it all figured out -- 17-inch winters should work fine.
    With folks swapping to 20's you can probably find some handsome 17-inch take offs. Keep an eye on the Seattle and B.C. Craig's lists, eh.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On ice and packed snow, I would expect the blizzaks to do better. Personally, though, I've never bought a dedicated "winter" tire like the blizzaks because, as you noted, they aren't useful for anything the rest of the year. I haven't personally ran the BFG TA/KO's, but I expect that, even though they aren't as good in the ice and snow as a dedicated winter tire, they will be adequate, especially if your driving skills are up to par (IMO, there isn't a tire out there that can make up for careless driving in the snow/ice).

So here's how the choice shapes up:

1) winter tire pro: best ice/snow performance con: can't use them the rest of the year
    2) all terrain tire pro: can use them year round con: not quite as good in the ice and snow.

Consider teh tradeoffs and make a decision. My decision has been to have a good off-road tire that also works for winter rather than have a dedicated winter tire.

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i have a had a couple sets of BFG AT's and loved them. i had a set that came on my sierra before i got the MTR's. they only had a maybe a quarter tread left and still performed great. i also have a set of BFG AT on my wrangler and they are fantastic. they are one of my favorite tires out there. a couple guys in my jeep club run them too and they have never let down. i have a friend that also swears by these tires on his trucks and its all he will ever put on

IMHO i think a designated snow tire is a waste of money because as they said you can only use them in the winter. you will be fine with the BFG's and be more than happy