Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by McClintoc, Feb 6, 2014.

1. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Anyone else going to be watching these?

Unfortunately, they are shaping up to probably be not good. Facilities aren't finished (mostly hotels), some of those hotels' water is not drinkable, recent terrorism and continuing threats, a lot of outdoor course are dangerous, etc. I don't have a good feeling about the Olympics this year; it just seems like they'll be a disaster - if they aren't already.

Shaun White pulled out of the slopestyle even becuase he thought the course was too dangerous. Already today, a downhill skiing event was halted because one of the ramps was too tall and an Italian skiier was injured, and I heard the luge course may be adjusted because it is even faster than the one in Vancouver on which a guy was killed.

I'll be watching them when I can but I just don't think they'll be very good. :erf:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I will not even bother trying to catch them. I will just wait for the highlights on the news. I think the reason the guy died in Vancouver was not because of speed, but because he hit a steel beam when he flew out of the course.

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes, but why did he fly off the course?

4. Pikey

well, speed of course :) I just watched the video of it. He actually did not leave the track. It was a poor design. one of the high walls had an opening with a bunch of steel pillars. He flew up the high wall and hit the pillar

5. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

But Putin said the Olympics will be totally safe...? LOL. I just hope for everyone there, that they all have a safe experience and no terrorists try anything.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'll just watch the highlights. The Olympics as an event are the single most watched event on the planet though.

7. Pikey

I have been reading reports about this. Apparently, many of the media hotels are not done, can't drink the tap water, flooding in hotel hallways, plumbing not hooked up in places. I saw a thing where they did not finish a building so they had a giant tarp made with a picture of a building on it and hung it in front of the unfinished building. They are saying that basically as soon as you power up your laptop or phone it will be hacked. Ran out of pillows. This could be interesting. here is a link to the building story http://deadspin.com/unfinished-sochi-cultural-center-just-covered-up-with-t-1515885820

8. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I watched the opening ceremony earlier today and it was okay. What amazes me though is the fact these Olympic games are the most expansive (est. 51 billion) and environmentally friend games of all time. That's funny though because they tore up farm land and started constriction almost 7 years ago just to have the games. I do give them props though, building all new infrastructure in a limited amount of time is quit amazing.

It is a gnarly slopestyle course though. They got some huge conjones to hit some of those jumps.