1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter Projects?? Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Aeropagus, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

I was just curious how many guys here try to put off projects until the spring. I know 1/2 of the country is frozen now, i'm in New Mexico and it comes and goes. :)

I might do a project like change plugs or swap a stereo, etc. How many die hards will do an engine rebuild in the winter with the short hours and cold drafts coming up through the garage walls?
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Uh...that would be me doing my engine rebuild. Of course if the baby wasn't so needy...(Damned kids):D I'd probably have the rebuild done by now. Weather's actually been pretty mild so far. Only a couple frosts so far, and the last couple days have been in the 50's-60's. My goal is to be done by the end of Dec, but who knows. Getting free time is not so easy with the 18 month causing chaos at every turn.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No projects have presented themselves for this winter, yet. But I do recall a couple of winters ago having the clutch go out on the BII. I'd get home from work, put on my thermal underwear and a couple of layers of clothes and a coat, then sit on the frozen garage floor (ice doesn't evaporate very fast) to pull the transmission. It took me about a week of evenings to get it done.

I hear you. Except, we got two for the price of one on our last trip through labor and delivery. Try finding free time when you have two terrible twos creating chaos at every turn. :) I love being a dad.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yikes! We have one terrible two, and that's enough for now! lol

I've had to do whatever is necessary in the past, I finished a summer-project 350 rebuild in the late fall about 15 years ago, back when I lived in the Northwest and was younger with less common sense.
  5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've got an old Pontiac 400 sitting on a stand in the garage that is just BEGGING to be rebuilt and thrown in my 76 Trans Am. If I do that, I'll rebuild the transmission for it as well. My 77 Formula needs re-assembly and body work. My 78 Chevy truck needs some maintenance and tlc. My CB900 needs the carbs rebuilt. And my 72 Ranchero GT needs to get sold and go away. None of these things will probably happen though.
  6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well it certainly sounds as though you don't have a lack of potential projects.